Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2011, 06:03 AM
Kevin1a Offline

windows_7firefox
Syncing or Backing Up to an NAS in Fedora

I want to place my music library on my network attached storage so that I can access it both on my home computer and on my laptop when I'm at home. I also want a local copy on my laptop because I occasionally DJ in the local dance scene, and without music that doesn't work so well.

After what was not an insignificant amount of effort I can connect fine to my NAS and access the share I placed my music in. What I need to know is what program I can use to help me keep the share on my NAS in sync with the one on my laptop's hard drive.

If the program can go both ways, and prompt for resolution of sync conflicts, like a calendar syncing program would, that's a plus.
If the program simply syncs one way, that's fine with me too. I will just make sure to drop files in the NAS share first and then sync with the laptop.

The things that worry me are:
-syncing to a samba share
-what will happen if the program tries to sync when my computer is not connected to the share

So can anyone recommend a program that can help me accomplish this? I appreciate any help I am given.

Hardware Information (in case it's needed):
NAS: WD MyBook Live 2TB
Home PC: Win7
Laptop: ASUS eeepc1000HEB running Fedora15

Tags
backing, fedora, nas, syncing