Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th May 2011, 10:03 PM
igorcf Offline

windows_7firefox
Realtek Wireless RTL8187SE

Hello, I'm new to Fedora and Linux, I have tried several distros, but I liked most was Fedora. And just the fedora was the only distro that does not automatically installed my wireless RTL8187SE from Realtek. Distros like Ubuntu, Mandriva, openSUSE, mageia beta2, Sabayon Linux ...
I would humbly ask for developers to add fedora driver for my wireless. I am Brazilian and here in my country many others undergoing the same as me.
Sorry for any error in writing.

Last edited by igorcf; 16th May 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:11 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Realtek Wireless RTL8187SE

A better place to make comments and suggestions to developers is fedoraproject.org. FWIW, there is a driver module named r8187se in kmod-staging available from RPM Fusion. No promises. After all, it's in staging for a reason. But I thought you should know about that.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:20 AM
igorcf Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
A better place to make comments and suggestions to developers is fedoraproject.org. FWIW, there is a driver module named r8187se in kmod-staging available from RPM Fusion. No promises. After all, it's in staging for a reason. But I thought you should know about that.
Thanks, and sorry for writing in the wrong place.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:32 AM
flansuse Offline

linuxchrome

Hello, igorcf. I have the same wireless chipset as you, and like stoat mentioned, it is available in the kmod-staging package from the RPM Fusion repository. Even though it is still in "staging", I found that it works fine (actually great!) under Fedora 13, and even other distros.

I noticed that with Fedora 15 Beta, there is no kmod-staging pacakge that is available for the current kernel. Perhaps we will have to wait until Fedora 15 goes stable? I am not familiar with what drives RPM Fusion policy. Which version of Fedora are you using? If you are on 14, then I believe you should be fine. Just add the RPM Fusion repositories while on a wired connection, and then install the kmod-staging meta package. It will automatically pull in the proper packages that match your kernel version. I recommend that you run a "yum update" and reboot before doing any of this.

I should also mention that in a worst-case scenario, you can always email RealTek customer support, and they will send you the latest source code to compile the driver yourself. It's not very convenient, but at least there is always a way to get wireless connectivity.

Last edited by flansuse; 17th May 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 17th May 2011, 03:29 AM
GallComp Online
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

windows_7ie

Moving to "Hardware" section as I think is more appropiate...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 18th May 2011, 11:20 PM
rtguille Offline

linuxfirefox

I also have a RTL8187se, it worked fine with F13 and rpmfusion's kmod-staggin without any noticeable issue.

But no support in F14 (tried some time ago)
And also no support in F15 (dependency problem, requiered an older kernel or something like that)

So it ended with Kubuntu (it is now my sister's netbook).

From https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org
1184 "kmod-staging with Fedora 14/development"

But there might be light at the end of the tunnel:

Unsupported Chips

RTL8187SE PCI (0x10ec:0x8199): This device will work with the r8187se driver (currently at linux-2.6/drivers/staging), which is the vendor driver converted to compile with a 2.6.29, or later, kernel.

A mac80211 version of this will be integrated on 2.6.40.
Old 21st May 2011, 05:28 PM
igorcf Offline

windows_7ie

Thanks everyone! I ended up solving the ndiswrapper driver install.
Thanks!
Old 27th May 2011, 07:15 PM
Hnrch Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcf View Post
Thanks!
How did you installed? i've been trying but no success, i can't compile either install the rpm
Old 1st June 2011, 08:39 PM
hiruko Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcf View Post
Thanks!
please , can you explain how ??
i install the driver get :

ndiswrapper -l
net8187se : driver installed
device (10EC:8199) present

i use the commands -m -ma -mi .... but always fail wlan

thanks in advance
Old 4th June 2011, 06:14 PM
lukitas Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiruko View Post
please , can you explain how ??
i install the driver get :

ndiswrapper -l
net8187se : driver installed
device (10EC:8199) present

i use the commands -m -ma -mi .... but always fail wlan

thanks in advance
Hello everybody,
today I've intalled fedora 15 and I'm very happy. But i found the same problem that some of you. I have a realtek 8187se because I have a netbook a point of view. Then I tried a lot of things, i tried to install a new kernel but... I couldn't do that. Finally I'm glad to say that I found this topic and I installed the kmod-staging from rpm-fusion.
Ok, I'm new too with fedora but perhaps it can help someone.
First install the repository:
i'm sorry but i have problem to write the correct url

Afterthat:
su (you have to write root password)

Finally
yum install kmod-staging

And reboot the pc

I don't know why some people say that it doesn't work because It works very well.
Old 7th June 2011, 09:49 AM
Hnrch Offline

linuxchrome
Smile Re: Realtek Wireless RTL8187SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukitas View Post
Hello everybody,
today I've intalled fedora 15 and I'm very happy. But i found the same problem that some of you. I have a realtek 8187se because I have a netbook a point of view. Then I tried a lot of things, i tried to install a new kernel but... I couldn't do that. Finally I'm glad to say that I found this topic and I installed the kmod-staging from rpm-fusion.
Ok, I'm new too with fedora but perhaps it can help someone.
First install the repository:
i'm sorry but i have problem to write the correct url

Afterthat:
su (you have to write root password)

Finally
yum install kmod-staging

And reboot the pc

I don't know why some people say that it doesn't work because It works very well.
Finally i have wireless, thanks mate! I don't know what i was doing wrong but, i just know i have wireless detected and successfully in use.
Old 4th March 2012, 02:48 AM
urilabob Offline

macosfirefox

Is anyone else experiencing the problem that the rtl8187se driver from kmod-staging stopped working from kernel 3.2.3 on? Does anyone have the ndiswrapper solution working in more recent kernels?
Thanks for any info
Bob
Old 5th March 2012, 01:09 AM
rtguille Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't know about versions, but a week ago i updated my sister's netbook (msi wind u100) and found no kmod for that -don't remember- kernel version. I had setup grub to boot previous older kernel as a solution or no wifi. (Using F15).
Old 5th March 2012, 01:44 AM
urilabob Offline

macosfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtguille View Post
I don't know about versions, but a week ago i updated my sister's netbook (msi wind u100) and found no kmod for that -don't remember- kernel version. I had setup grub to boot previous older kernel as a solution or no wifi. (Using F15).
Kmod-staging updates usually follow kernel updates by one or two days (I always check that the corresponding kmod-staging is available before committing to an update). I have the current kmod-staging for my kernel, but if I boot to it, the wireless card doesn't start. At the moment, I am using 3.2.2 (which seems to be the most recent one that works). More detail is on the rpmfusion bugzilla but I was posting here because I hadn't noticed any other reports of problems, so I'm starting to wonder whether it is something to do with my specific setup.
Old 21st April 2012, 05:23 AM
huhydro Offline

linuxfirefox

Greatly help! Searched for the wireless driver for days! kmod-staging works! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flansuse View Post
Hello, igorcf. I have the same wireless chipset as you, and like stoat mentioned, it is available in the kmod-staging package from the RPM Fusion repository. Even though it is still in "staging", I found that it works fine (actually great!) under Fedora 13, and even other distros.

I noticed that with Fedora 15 Beta, there is no kmod-staging pacakge that is available for the current kernel. Perhaps we will have to wait until Fedora 15 goes stable? I am not familiar with what drives RPM Fusion policy. Which version of Fedora are you using? If you are on 14, then I believe you should be fine. Just add the RPM Fusion repositories while on a wired connection, and then install the kmod-staging meta package. It will automatically pull in the proper packages that match your kernel version. I recommend that you run a "yum update" and reboot before doing any of this.

I should also mention that in a worst-case scenario, you can always email RealTek customer support, and they will send you the latest source code to compile the driver yourself. It's not very convenient, but at least there is always a way to get wireless connectivity.

Tags
realtek, rtl8187se, wireless