Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2011, 08:59 PM
erasmix Offline

linuxchrome
Hardware Migration and RAID

Hello there,

I have an old server I build 7 years ago. I have a RAID5 with 5x2TB HD's and I'm planning a major hardware overhaul. My server currently runs on a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz (pre multicore technology) on a SuperMicro mobo. I'm planning to switch to an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6.

So here's the question. Can I just plug my drives to the new board and restart the RAID like nothing happened? I don't have space to backup all my data if I have to recreate the RAID from scratch.

Thanks,
Erasmo.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:59 PM
vsaua Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Hardware Migration and RAID

Hi,

Is your raid software? If so there shouldn't be any problems - just install the HDD's in the same device/channels order into new motherboard.

If you use standalone hardware RAID controller - just move it to the new MB.

But if you use internal RAID in motherboard - It's a more complex to transfer, because every raid controller keeps data on HDD in it's own (guess proprietary) format. But if the internal controller is actually a fake-raid that works through kernel module - as I know there is a change to migrate ...
Old 21st April 2011, 02:47 PM
scott32746 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello,

I would think a big hardware change is going to give you problems with the OS.

Not sure what version of Fedora you are running but older version may not be compatible with today's hardware.

Being a 7 year old hardware you maybe be running PATA drives and the new mobo is going to have SATA connections.

Curious of your out come, please let us know
Old 21st April 2011, 03:47 PM
erasmix Offline

macossafari

Thank you vsaua!

Yes the RAID is made thru mdadm. My concern is any incompatibility between intel and amd integers, specially if I install fedora 64 bits on the new server (my RAID was created on Fedora 12, 32 bits).

One more thing. You mentioned I have to get the devices in the same order but in the past I've accidentally flipped the order of at least two devices and mdadm assembled it OK. My guess is that what's important to mdadm is the device uuid, not the device path. Any comments?

Thanks again,

Erasmo.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

I forgot to mention all my drives are SATA (I was a pioneer back then ). I have a SuperMicro PCI-X SATA2 controller with 8 ports, plus 2 SATA connectors on my board with WD Raptors (74Gig 1st generation) on RAID 1 for the OS. The only IDE device I have is the CD-ROM.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:43 PM
vsaua Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmix View Post

Yes the RAID is made thru mdadm. My concern is any incompatibility between intel and amd integers, specially if I install fedora 64 bits on the new server (my RAID was created on Fedora 12, 32 bits).
I think everything will be ok. As I know changing from 32 to 64 Bits doesn't affect the file system. Read this thread for Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1719285

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmix View Post

One more thing. You mentioned I have to get the devices in the same order but in the past I've accidentally flipped the order of at least two devices and mdadm assembled it OK. My guess is that what's important to mdadm is the device uuid, not the device path. Any comments?
You are right UUID is needed - I thought that your RAID contain OS and you are booting from it.

Tags
hardware, migration, raid