Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th March 2011, 10:27 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora14 boots to just b4 login screen and freezes: was a working system.

I have a HP dv5 Laptop with Fedora 14 as the ONLY OS on the computer. It's been working great. Right now, when I power up, it boots up to where the login screen should be, but just sits at the Fedora Core logo. I've tried to press enter and enter my password blind hoping that it was something there, but nothing. I can't even seem to get it to give me an option to boot to the last update.

Please tell me there's a "simple fix"!! And what the fix is....
Started with FC6. Fedora has made Great Improvements!! Keep it up.
Old 27th March 2011, 06:59 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Re: Fedora14 boots to just b4 login screen and freezes: was a working system. Help P

ok, i can boot in to my system using the FC14 Live CD. I can get at all my data which tells me it's not hardware and it has to be the boot record and possibly the screen drivers got messed up.

does any one know how I can do an update (such as a yum update) to my local system when I booted from my live CD? if so, what are the commands?
Old 27th March 2011, 07:03 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora14 boots to just b4 login screen and freezes: was a working system. Help P

What happened before you started seeing the boot issues? Had you just done an update?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 27th March 2011, 08:23 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

It was working perfectly. Yes, as far as I know the only thing that happened is I downloaded my e-mails for viewing later and I completed the updates that it said it needed.

I just reinstalled Fedora as the only system on this computer a month ago or so, removing Vista completely. When it was a dual-booted system, it always gave me the option to boot to 1 of 3 revisions of FC as the updates came in. I don't have that now though for some reason.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:30 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora14 boots to just b4 login screen and freezes: was a working system.

Maybe there was a kernel update with no graphics driver update. That can cause issues. Do you get a boot menu?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 27th March 2011, 08:54 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Reboot the machine and right after the bios screen is done, quickly press Esc to force the Grub menu to show. From the grub menu you can edit the kernel line to append vesa to the end. If you have a problem with the normal driver, vesa should work around that. Or you can just append a 3 so it boots to multi-user no X mode so the video isn't even an issue. Then you can log in and see what's wrong (look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/messages and so on).

An example of the kernel stanza and how it would look is shown:

title Fedora (2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 ro root=UUID=f5100de0-d982-41bd-b495-719501903046 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us vesa
initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64.img

The vesa mode changed in this way doesn't stick, only this boot up will use it because this doesn't edit the actual grub.conf file

Last edited by marko; 27th March 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:55 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

No boot menu at all. I can see the text for boot (F8) or the blue screen with the Fedora logo and just before it should go to the login screen, it goes black. I can see that the screen is on but it has no display.
Old 27th March 2011, 09:01 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Are you pressing the Esc key almost immediately? Try that, I'm not sure what you mean by "text for boot (F8)"

Fedora defaults to setting the option hiddenmenu you can disable that by commenting out the hiddenmenu in the grub.conf file with a "#" but even with hiddenmenu set and timeout = 0, you should see the grub menu if you press Esc at the right time.

I always remove the hiddenmenu, and change the timeout from 0 to 10 and remove the 'quiet' and 'rhgb' options
Old 27th March 2011, 09:09 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Marko--

I just tried that. I can see the text of the different functions and drivers being loaded, but then it stops and goes blank. Right now it's beside me with a blue screen. All the keyboard does is put the different key commands on the screen.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

ESC key--

I have to wait for the bios to get past it's load and then I start pressing the ESC key. All it does is toggle the screen between the text load or the gui view.
Old 27th March 2011, 09:16 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

So you never see the grub menu at all? It's almost like there's no grub a all, I guess I'd suggest booting the install DVD, and use rescue mode from it.

REF:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...escuemode.html

Using that you can 'chroot' the hard disk and get to the actual /boot/grub/grub.conf file and the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and the logs in /var/log

one thing this would give you is a chance to add a usable timeout to the grub.conf and to remove the hiddenmenu or even to hard code the
kernel line to use the vesa driver (at least for now)
Old 27th March 2011, 09:33 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

That's what I'm hoping for. I just don't remember there being a "rescue" on my install disk. It's a "Fedora Live" CD that gives you the option to install to the desktop.
Old 27th March 2011, 09:44 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't think the LIve CD has rescue capability (REF: looking at this old thread
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho....php?p=1417222 about Fedora 13 )

I usually use the full DVD which does have rescue and more of the software. Since you probably don't want to get the full DVD just to do a rescue you could just get the netinst.iso like from here:

64bit:
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedo...ra/x86_64/iso/

32bit
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedo...dora/i386/iso/

since it's only 220Meg or so
Old 27th March 2011, 09:54 PM
JoeF Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

but the netinst would require the access to the "internet" which since I have limited access right now, the full DVD would probably be better. Thanks though.
Old 27th March 2011, 10:17 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah, I didn't know you actually had the install DVD since you just mentioned using the Live CD. If you have the DVD go ahead and try that.
Old 29th March 2011, 07:24 PM
JoeF Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well I love "cloud computing". had to download the Fedora DVD while at work yesterday. I tired a "repair" but that didn't help any. Came back with the same result. As time was wasting away, I formated the HD and did a new install of FC14. At work now and all is almost back to normal. Using Dropbox to store all my docs and pictures is a real benefit.

Something still wrong with the wireless as the equipment isn't being reconized. Usuall yum install broadcom-wl takes care of that but it didn't this time.

funny part is that when I boot this new install, it still doesn't give me the option to select which version to boot to. I went in to the bootloader and it shows that there are 2 versions currently there and a 15sec default time out, but that doesn't happen. HMMMMMM????

Well thanks for the try anyways.

Tags
boots, fedora14, freezes, login, screen, working