Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th March 2011, 11:19 PM
WiFiTech Offline

windows_7chrome
Need help with 1st time DSL setup. [Solved]

Fedora 14 - AT&T DSL Modem in Bridge Mode.
Looking for guide on setting up DSL PPPOE connection.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

No worries. haven't been able to get much help on this and I am not a fan of forums. Putting this project in mothballs.

Last edited by WiFiTech; 26th March 2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 26th March 2011, 01:27 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Need help with 1st time DSL setup.

it's much easier to set up if you don't have your modem in bridge mode and let your modem do all the dsl authentication for you. The you just set up a network connection using your modem as the gateway.
Old 26th March 2011, 06:41 PM
WiFiTech Offline

windows_7chrome

I think I will do that...
A radius company needs full access to it, so just giving the IP to the box was an easier way to do it. I will see if the POS modem/router can allow full access, don't think it supports DMZ.
Now I have to figure out how to find the MAC address of the NIC card as the wired connection and the network icon on the top panel were deleted by a CAT jumping on the keyboard.
Thanks,
Old 26th March 2011, 06:56 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

do you have one of the 2wire routers? They do support dmz. It's on the Firewall Settings page.

You can get to the app for your network setup by going to the System-->Administration-->Network or by running system-config-network from a terminal.

Edit:

If you need to give them unlimited access, you will still need to allow the access in iptables even after setting it up as dmz in your router.

also, if you need the mac address, you can get it from the router as well

if you have the 2wire router here is the link for the page that gives you the device list:

Code:
http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J08&THISPAGE=J07&NEXTPAGE=J08

Last edited by DBelton; 26th March 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:01 PM
WiFiTech Offline

windows_7chrome

I have an Actiontec and did something similar to what you posted. (disabled bridge mode)
It seems to be working I have internet access and the DMZ is set up.
Being as it is linux (Fedora) I am pretty sure I have to do something to allow access to the box itself. So back to searching how to allow access... I see a remote desktop app, but I am sure it is setup to access another machine, not to be accessed (VNC build) it looks like.
Thank you again for the help.

Tags
1st, dsl, setup, time