Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st March 2011, 07:14 PM
DirolTerminator Offline

linuxopera
Stucked Caps

Hi all. I have a very specific problem.
I have my CapsLock remapped to change the keyboard layout (to switch the input language), via Gnome standard System->Preferences->Keyboard ui shell.
On that config ui - I leave field "Caps Lock key behavior" as a "default" and change the "Keys to change layout" to CapsLock.
If I try to select in "Caps Lock key behavior" something other, that "default" - the key stops to switch layout as well.

The problem is that sometimes (I think, after 8-12 hours of working) Caps Lock not only switches the layout, but also the Caps Lock mode, so all the letters get capitalized. And the only way to turn that mode off - is to remap Caps Lock key back to it's default value, change the mode, and then remap the key again to function properly. It's very inconvenient.

Don't suggest me to turn the Caps lock key off - it makes switching layout also impossible.

Maybe there is some command, which I can enter on the terminal - to change Caps Lock mode?

xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock" disables the key, but not the mode =(
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:39 PM
DavidMcCann Offline

linuxopera
Re: Stucked Caps

I suggest you leave Caps as a caps lock key and use something else to change the layout. In the keyboard preferences section, there are lost of options: how about Shift+Caps or Alt+Caps?

If you have the notification applet on the panel, it should show the current layout and you can change by clicking on it.

You could use xmodmap to set the scroll lock key to ISO_Next_Group. The keyboard options section allows you set use the Scroll Lock LED to show when you're using your second layout.
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:45 PM
DirolTerminator Offline

linuxopera
Re: Stucked Caps

Thanks, I think I'll do, as you suggest. At least until the some improvement to the core hasn't been made, or I won't figure out, that's were caused by some third party app..
If I manage to make some progress on that problem - I'll post here what's caused that bug.

Tags
caps, stucked