Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 23rd December 2010, 09:35 PM
jroa1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Logging as root from GUI

I am fairly new to Linux in general, and I have not read through all of the posts in this thread, but I was wondering if you could just create a new account called root and then give it the same permissions as the root account? Would this not be the same? I am not saying it is a good idea, I was just wondering if this was possible.
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:38 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox

Actually, no. Give it a try and you'll find out that "user with name of root already exists".
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:54 PM
jroa1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Actually, no. Give it a try and you'll find out that "user with name of root already exists".
Ok, how about Root or Superuser or anything else? It does not matter what the name is, couldn't you just create a user that has the same privileges as root?
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:58 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroa1 View Post
Ok, how about Root or Superuser or anything else? It does not matter what the name is, couldn't you just create a user that has the same privileges as root?

Try

Code:
su
adduser -u 0 -o -g 0 -G 0,1,2,3,4,6,10 -M god
passwd god
Code:
[root@localhost ~]# id god
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
[root@localhost ~]# id root
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
[root@localhost ~]#
GDM doesn't complain about god logging in
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:18 PM
jroa1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just out of curiosity, I created an account call Root and gave it the same groups as root. I then tried to open my grub.conf while in Root and it gave me a permission error. I checked the permissions of the file and it is set for user rw only, so unless someone changed everything that is like that, it looks like my theory would not work.

[Root@FedoraHome ~]$ groups
Root root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel
[Root@FedoraHome ~]$ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
cat: /boot/grub/grub.conf: Permission denied
[Root@FedoraHome ~]$
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:43 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Yes. This is one of the security warnings... Look out for unknown
logins with UID 0.

NOTE: Linux defines root slightly differently than the traditional
UNIX. root does by default get everything...

But it is possible (look in /etc/security directory) to define these
for other logins and NOT for root.

It is even possible to completely disable root, though that hasn't
been widely used yet. See the Open Wall project (http://www.openwall.com/) for some alternatives.

SELinux is by default configured to emulate an all powerful
UID 0, user. UID 0 isn't really that special otherwise.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I created an account call Root and gave it the same groups as root. I then tried to open my grub.conf while in Root and it gave me a permission error. I checked the permissions of the file and it is set for user rw only, so unless someone changed everything that is like that, it looks like my theory would not work.

[Root@FedoraHome ~]$ groups
Root root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel
[Root@FedoraHome ~]$ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
cat: /boot/grub/grub.conf: Permission denied
[Root@FedoraHome ~]$
Yes. That is one of the SELinux protections that is NOT defined by uid. The security labels are assigned to processes when they
are started (as in login). Root (and I will have to dig it out) is not
all powerful just because UID 0 belongs to root.

I believe the SELinux configuration tools identify the root login
by name, and assign it the SELinux labels when it is authenticated. Other logins (not named "root") will not get these
labels. Exactly where these are assigned - I haven't located yet.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

This is very timely...

A Plea to Software Vendors from Sysadmins - 10 Do's and Don'ts

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1921361

check entry #2...
check entry #4...
Old 7th January 2011, 06:01 PM
angro Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Wink Re: Logging as root from GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaelzer View Post
What if instead of logging as root I just want to run an app as super user?
Is there a way I could configure KDE menu to add a "Run as Root" or "Run as another user" option simply by right-clicking on the app's icon?

Hi,

read the whole thread, skipped just a few lines, but VERY GLAD I found this topic:

I needed to add my 5 cents of comments, almost wanted to install KDE again

I would love to have the POSSIBILITY to login as root
I would also love to have what RGAELZER tells us he got in KDM/KDE : the possibility to "Run as root"

I am totally no superuser, even almost a NOOB (quite interesting to read your thoughts about us ) but managed in time to install SUSE for some versions and than turned to Fedora (8) and followed all versions afterwards. (sometimes i install others too, just for peeking into).

Now come the interesting part :

Sometimes I NEED to do something as a root, like adapting fstab, or grub, or chmod/chown some files which i use su for. (ok, not totally NOOB, I googled and fedora forumed)

But I have had moments that I needed root login (which I had because I always used KDE until it has gone mad lately at the end of F13, install F14) because I needed to mount external drives mounted with my "normal" account as the user/group owner. Therefor I needed login as root to adapt THAT MOUNT POINT (nothing else). I than had not enough experience to CLI, but managed VERY WELL in GUI.

AND YES, afterwards, I logout root, and back in "normal"

GUI gives me enough possibilities to do those "things", and CLI is not good enough KNOWN by me to do other tasks.
If needed, as so many others I suppose, I reinstall the whole (especially after an upgrade)

Yeah please , in GNOME, give me access to GUI as root, AND FOR SURE give me an option RUN AS ROOT (hidden is good enough) so I can do some tasks in a familiar environment.

CLI is the best, I know, I have done RM ASTERISK ENTER being sure I wanted to clean the whole disk, but forgot to unmount the ones that did not need to be wiped out, which they were, and my god, it went quickly. (besides, the space joke worked also for me, no thanks, in GUI I see what I want to do)

Greetings

a serious home user, without whole bunch of knowledge

Last edited by angro; 7th January 2011 at 06:18 PM.