Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th December 2010, 01:46 AM
Sunmaz Offline

macosunknown
Exclamation Firefox Crashing All the Time

Recently firefox has been crashing on me like crazy. I'm on Fedora 14 with the latest repo firefox version. Running firefox with the "-safe" flag doesn't help nor did reinstalling firefox using "yum reinstall firefox". According to ABRT every crash is due to: "Process /usr/lib/firefox-3.6/firefox was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)". When run from root in terminal via "sudo firefox" with and without "-safe" after crashing the message returned to terminal reads: "/usr/lib/firefox-3.6/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 2*** Segmentation fault (core dumped) "$prog" ${1+"$@"}". The stars after 2 (I.e. "2***") are to indicate different numbers. On one run they were "2406" and on another "2538". Recently, in all instances firefox crashes right after attempting to navigate to a website (I've tried many - there is no correlation between what website I go to and if it crashes). Previously, when firefox was crashing less frequently, it occurred intermittently and wasn't correlated to any action I took. Please help me with this! Thanks in advance.
Old 20th December 2010, 02:37 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Firefox Crashing All the Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunmaz View Post
Recently firefox has been crashing on me like crazy. I'm on Fedora 14 with the latest repo firefox version. Running firefox with the "-safe" flag doesn't help nor did reinstalling firefox using "yum reinstall firefox". According to ABRT every crash is due to: "Process /usr/lib/firefox-3.6/firefox was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)". When run from root in terminal via "sudo firefox" with and without "-safe" after crashing the message returned to terminal reads: "/usr/lib/firefox-3.6/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 2*** Segmentation fault (core dumped) "$prog" ${1+"$@"}". The stars after 2 (I.e. "2***") are to indicate different numbers. On one run they were "2406" and on another "2538". Recently, in all instances firefox crashes right after attempting to navigate to a website (I've tried many - there is no correlation between what website I go to and if it crashes). Previously, when firefox was crashing less frequently, it occurred intermittently and wasn't correlated to any action I took. Please help me with this! Thanks in advance.
there is no such Firefox option as "-safe" it's actually "-safe-mode"

if you just typed -safe it would have loaded the plugins and not helped.

Reinstalling doesn't resolve all possible problems, it could be that one of the various mysql db files that Firefox depends on is corrupted.
Even after a reinstall, your original ~/.mozilla directory and it's files would still remain and might continue to cause the new firefox to crash.
Try moving the old ~/.mozilla directory to a new name and then re-run Firefox:
Quote:
mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.back
now run firefox in a terminal and try it out.
If it works well, you can then recover the old bookmarks by pointing the Organizing bookmarks tool to ~/.mozilla.back/firefox/*.default/bookmarkbackups and importing back in your latest "json" file from there. Depending on how you use Firefox you might want to try to recover your saved passwords, there are many instructions on how by searching google.

Last edited by marko; 20th December 2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:31 AM
Sunmaz Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Firefox Crashing All the Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
there is no such Firefox option as "-safe" it's actually "-safe-mode"

if you just typed -safe it would have loaded the plugins and not helped.

Reinstalling doesn't resolve all possible problems, it could be that one of the various mysql db files that Firefox depends on is corrupted.
Even after a reinstall, your original ~/.mozilla directory and it's files would still remain and might continue to cause the new firefox to crash.
Try moving the old ~/.mozilla directory to a new name and then re-run Firefox:

now run firefox in a terminal and try it out.
If it works well, you can then recover the old bookmarks by pointing the Organizing bookmarks tool to ~/.mozilla.back/firefox/*.default/bookmarkbackups and importing back in your latest "json" file from there. Depending on how you use Firefox you might want to try to recover your saved passwords, there are many instructions on how by searching google.
The same thing happens with "-safe-mode" but thanks for pointing that out. I'll try what you recommended tomorrow and see if that works. Thanks a ton for your help!

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Weird....on Chrome it doesn't identify me as being on Fedora........? and now my original posts ids (Fedora + Firefox) got destroyed....

Tags
crash, firefox