Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd September 2010, 03:01 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Another dual boot thread!

Sometimes, when Windows is on a non-first drive in grub.conf, it helps to use the map GRUB menu command to virtually swap it back to first for Windows' sake. It's a harmless thing to try. Like this...
Code:
title Windows Vista
     rootnoverify (hd1,0)
     map (hd0) (hd1)
     map (hd1) (hd0)
     chainloader +1
The space after "map" and between the middle parentheses is important.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:37 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Hello Eviscerate, Stoat and others. I'd like to apologize for not continuing with this thread this morning. Unfortunately, I had to leave for the day and had no Internet access until about an hour ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 8th November 2010, 03:37 PM
changedtothis Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Talking Re: Another dual boot thread!

hi
will go thru all of this as time permits but my basis question is:
have dual boot setup with xp prof and fedora 13
think xp is kinda sick...some programs seems to install correctly to completion but
will not work.
want to reinstall windows xp prof with destroying dual boot setup up.
how do I reinstall windows xp over current setup and still be able to dual boot
to fedora as I am doing now. I know I somehow have to reinstall grub and grub conf
but don't know exactly how or where.
any help appreciated. hate to have to totally reinstall both.

thanks

changedtothis
Old 8th November 2010, 03:40 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

unknownunknown

Just reinstall Windows and then boot with the Fedora install DVD and run rescue mode.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 8th November 2010, 03:43 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

If the Windows XP Professionial CD will boot normally with Fedora present on the drive, then go ahead and re-install XP. Then, as you said, re-install GRUB. There are several methods to do it, but the classic way is to boot with your Fedora DVD. Choose "Rescue installed system" and follow along until you can choose to start the bash shell. Then enter chroot /mnt/sysimage. At the next bash prompt, enter grub-install /dev/sda to re-install GRUB in the master boot record of the first hard drive.

P.S.: Don't change the existing partition layout when you re-install XP. Re-install XP right back into its old partition if that works for your purposes. Otherwise, you may have to do more to Fedora than re-install GRUB. If you must tinker with the partition layout, you probably will be able to get Fedora going anyway with an additional config file edit or two.
Old 7th December 2010, 05:47 PM
changedtothis Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

glennzo

running into a problem with dual boot setup and need advice on how to delete fedora 13 from hd and still be able to boot into windows? I deleted the fedora partitions with windows disk management and when I tried to boot into windows a black screen appeared wtih grub > .
I suspect there is a way to restore the mbr but I have no idea why.
trying to educate myself in linux.
still have not successfully installed yumex on system by following many suggestions so far.

any help appreciated.

thanks
changedtothis
Old 7th December 2010, 08:32 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox

I believe you need to restore the Windows boot loader using the Windows disk. There is something called recovery console I believe. A little research will reveal the true answer. From within the recovery console fixboot /mbr or something similar should do the trick if memory serves me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
boot, dual, thread