Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1336  
Old 13th November 2010, 12:49 PM
sikku Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Age: 33
Posts: 57
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

How do I know if my Graphics Card is perfectly installed with all drivers?
Coz I dont see any difference from my default mother board graphics visuals and my new nvidia 210 graphics card visuals.
Is there any way to test?
__________________
Waiting Eagerly for F18....
  #1337  
Old 13th November 2010, 05:25 PM
antonis9891 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
windows_7chrome
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Hi to all. Please help me with my problem.
I installed fedora 14 x86_64 on my system. I followed the instructions exactly like the first post says, and I can't get into my fedora now.
It starts, the loading bar appears, but when it loads full and become all white, it stucks there. I stops when it says "start atd".
Now I can't do anything.
I tried second time with just:
"su
yum update.....OK
reboot
yum install akmod-nvidia.....OK
reboot"
and the same happens.


I am really sorry for the wrong section. Please remove it if you'd like, and also forgive my poor English.

Last edited by antonis9891; 13th November 2010 at 05:50 PM.
  #1338  
Old 13th November 2010, 07:08 PM
ghoul Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L'viv, Ukraine
Age: 35
Posts: 35
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

I had exactly the same problem as antonis9891.

The solution was to add following option to the end of the 'kernel' line in /etc/grub.conf:
rdblacklist=nouveau nomodeset
(This is recommended on rpmfusion for F12/13)
  #1339  
Old 15th November 2010, 10:13 AM
NickLee Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 24
windows_xp_2003opera
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Driver from RPMFusion (akmod-nvidia)

mplayer complains about not being able to find libvdpau_nvidia.so

I made link from /usr/lib64/libvdpau_nvidia.so to /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.260.12.19
Now vdpau works.
  #1340  
Old 19th November 2010, 11:48 AM
TheWarden Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Anybody else not able to turn on KDE desktop effects in F14? The Nvidia driver is installed and working correctly (glxgears/glxinfo) but everytime I try to enable KDE desktop effects (opengl) it can't start it. My .xsession-errors complains of:

kwin(5619) KWin::Workspace::setupCompositing: Initializing OpenGL compositing
kwin(5619): Couldn't find framebuffer configuration for default depth!
kwin(5619): Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled

I just let nvidia-xconfig setup my xorg.conf. Everything works as expected in F12 on the same machine.
  #1341  
Old 19th November 2010, 04:07 PM
ZingBah Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 3
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Well I did this;

su
rpm -Uvh *AS per post #1*
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

I then received RPMFusion update notifications (Which I installed) and rebooted.

Driver had installed fine.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM GMT ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikku View Post
How do I know if my Graphics Card is perfectly installed with all drivers?
Coz I dont see any difference from my default mother board graphics visuals and my new nvidia 210 graphics card visuals.
Is there any way to test?
System ---> Administration ---> Nvidia X server settings.

My screen resolution had changed upon reboot so I knew it had installed. I am a recent convert from Windows so I'm still trying to familiarise.
  #1342  
Old 20th November 2010, 04:18 PM
spacefrog Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: France
Posts: 62
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

I did a F14 fresh installl, installed drivers akmod. After reboot X did not load so i disabled nouveau module as specified, now it's fine. The driver is ok for my GTX295 enven if in some conditions the Scale plugin (Compiz) seems a bit laggy.
Anyway, thank you very much for the tutorial, it worked fine for me
  #1343  
Old 21st November 2010, 06:32 AM
Dors Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 175
windows_xp_2003firefox
Question Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Hmmm, so if I install f13 and upgrade to 14 will the card work fine? Or would it be the same laggy fedora 14?
Thanks
__________________
Aventuras con Fedora: Fedorama
  #1344  
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:27 PM
YogiBare Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28
linuxchrome
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Hi,

I've been here before and am unfortunately here again :-(

I have updated my kernel to 2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64 using the rpms posted by leigh123linux (which solved several issues with my sound. THANKS leigh123linux!!!). I installed all four packages as instructed by this post.

I have made sure to blacklist nouveau iin grub.conf
I ran the nvidia binary with "-k $(uname -r)

Here is all the information I can think of.

Code:
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ uname -r
2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release 
Fedora release 13 (Goddard)
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia | sort
akmod-nvidia-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
nvidia-kmod-debuginfo-260.19.04-1.fc13.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-8.fc13.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-5.fc13.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-debuginfo-260.19.04-1.fc13.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ locate nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-47.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko.debug
/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko.debug
I'm still getting the;
nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64 was not found. [WARNING]
The nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found. [WARNING]

any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :-D
  #1345  
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:34 PM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBare View Post
Hi,

I've been here before and am unfortunately here again :-(

I have updated my kernel to 2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64 using the rpms posted by leigh123linux (which solved several issues with my sound. THANKS leigh123linux!!!). I installed all four packages as instructed by this post.

I have made sure to blacklist nouveau iin grub.conf
I ran the nvidia binary with "-k $(uname -r)

Here is all the information I can think of.

Code:
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ uname -r
2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release 
Fedora release 13 (Goddard)
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia | sort
akmod-nvidia-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
nvidia-kmod-debuginfo-260.19.04-1.fc13.x86_64
nvidia-settings-1.0-8.fc13.x86_64
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-5.fc13.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-debuginfo-260.19.04-1.fc13.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ locate nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-47.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko.debug
/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko.debug
I'm still getting the;
nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64 was not found. [WARNING]
The nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found. [WARNING]

any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :-D

Post

Code:
rpm -qf  /lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

It should return this
Code:
[leigh@localhost ~]$ rpm -qf /lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
[leigh@localhost ~]$
  #1346  
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:36 PM
YogiBare Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28
windows_7firefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Hi leigh123linux,

Thanks for the quick response. I do in fact get the same return as that you posted

Code:
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ rpm -qf /lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$
I watched the boot mesgs by ctrl-d and now the driver seems to load. however I am left with a blank black screen. This happens on all kernels.

Thanks again for all this help. :-D
  #1347  
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:54 PM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBare View Post
Hi leigh123linux,

Thanks for the quick response. I do in fact get the same return as that you posted

Code:
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$ rpm -qf /lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
[L0key@BlackBox ~]$
I watched the boot mesgs by ctrl-d and now the driver seems to load. however I am left with a blank black screen. This happens on all kernels.

Thanks again for all this help. :-D
Try deleting this file


Code:
su
rm -f /lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
Did you try the nvidia homepage driver?, that would explain this extra .ko
  #1348  
Old 22nd November 2010, 04:44 PM
YogiBare Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28
linuxchrome
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Hi again,

Ok I removed the file as you suggested. from that point I was no longer able to get a gui at all.
The scroll bar on the bottom would finish and would just hang at all white with Fedora 13 at the end.
So I went to ctrl-alt-2 and tried startx.

X11 reported that it was unable to load "/lib/modules/2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko"

I have been using the nvidia homepage driver. So I ran the installer again (with the -k $(uname -r)
and the file I deleted was replaced again. Also It brought me back to the stage where I can get a gui just no nvidia and the resolution is roughly 640x480.

As a side note I noticed the the line "ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia" " was missing from xorg.conf so I added it back in.

So after all I am still receiving the following
nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64 was not found. [WARNING]
The nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found. [WARNING]


Thanks a million :-)

------edit-----------

I failed to report this part

Ok I noticed that all the other nvidia.ko files were in the /lib/modules/(kernel)/extra/nvidia directory.
So I copied the nvidia.ko from that other place (../kernel/drivers/video) to the ../extra/nvidia directory.
This allowed the nvidia driver to be loaded, but this gave me the black screens. So when I delete that file again I am once more given a gui at low resolution and the same warnings about the driver not loading.

Also when I issue the query you instructed two posts back, I get the same return. even though the file does not exist in that directory.

I'm sure its one small thing that I'm failing to see.

Thanks again and again

Last edited by YogiBare; 22nd November 2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to include vital information
  #1349  
Old 22nd November 2010, 05:57 PM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

Try


Code:
su 
rpm -e --nodeps kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
akmods --force
  #1350  
Old 22nd November 2010, 07:01 PM
YogiBare Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28
linuxubuntufirefox
Re: F14, F13 & F12 Nvidia driver guides

hello once more,

Ok I have been trying to solve it on my own and have taken a few steps.

I ran 'yum erase *nvidia*'
then I rebooted
Ran the binary from nvidia (with -k $(uname -r) again)
rebooted
then ran 'yum install akmod-nvidia'
rebooted

This seemed to get the driver to load (watching through boot it reports that nvidia driver loads) but I am once again at the blank black screen.

Sorry its taking me so long to respond. I'm having to boot into bt4 (the only distro I had ready to go) in order to log on here and report.

Thanks a billion :-D

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM GMT ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Try


Code:
su 
rpm -e --nodeps kmod-nvidia-2.6.36-1.fc15.x86_64-260.19.21-1.fc13.x86_64
akmods --force
Ok ran the above. After running the last command it said that it was "building and installing" akmod-nvidia

rebooted. Once again the driver seems to install and run fine but I get a blank black screen.

I thought it might be an error with my xorg.conf so I checked it against the backup(previously working) and all seems well.
Closed Thread

Tags
drivers, fedora 14, fedora 15, fedora 16, guide, nvidia

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rescue after failed nvidia driver install? restore nouveau or basic video driver? Icm76 Using Fedora 11 14th January 2012 04:23 AM
Nvidia set up guides. sepoto Using Fedora 2 5th March 2011 06:11 AM
nVidia Driver Guides & Autoten: Thanks! Hobashira Fedora Focus 0 12th November 2010 08:29 AM
msi n220gt series not working with Nvidia driver guides top of page davidvandoren Hardware & Laptops 0 7th September 2010 06:52 PM
FC11 nVidia No Sound After RPMFusion nVidia Driver Load basimmer Using Fedora 0 16th October 2009 12:46 AM


Current GMT-time: 22:03 (Friday, 03-07-2015)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat