Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th November 2010, 09:31 PM
Marius - Roma Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Ndiswrapper

I need do install Ndiswrapper on a new Fedora 14 PC.
I found many posts in forums suggesting to use yum after enabling access to both the free and the nonfree repository om Rpmfusion.
I performed all the suggested steps but Ndiswraper loooks to be unavailable from Rpmfusion: is it possible?
Can anybody please help installing Ndiswrapper on Fedora 14?
Regards
Marius
Old 20th November 2010, 10:09 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Re: Ndiswrapper

Ndiswrapper has been a no-show in the RPM Fusion repos for Fedora 14. I have no idea what the story behind that is. But ndiswrapper is a tiny program that is easy to compile from source. I would try that in Fedora 14. Make sure you have installed the things necessary for compiling source, get the ndiswrapper tarball, untar it, read the README or INSTALL file, and do the steps. That part is easy. Now, I can't promise that the part about installing the Windows driver will be as easy. I can only say that you should use the driver files that make the device work in XP or W2K (not Vista or later). You usually need at least the INF and SYS files. Some places to get those files are the CD that came with the device, your Windows system's folders, the Internet. The steps to install the driver are heavily documented. Return here if you have problems or questions.
Old 21st November 2010, 12:24 AM
JonEberger Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I always installed from source. The source install always worked better than through a package manager.

I also always went to the website of the manufacturer of your NIC and got the drivers (newest) from the manufacturer. The command "cabextract" will extract all necessary files from an .exe file.
Registered Linux User #381610
Old 21st November 2010, 11:07 AM
comcastuser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEberger View Post
I always installed from source. The source install always worked better than through a package manager.

I also always went to the website of the manufacturer of your NIC and got the drivers (newest) from the manufacturer. The command "cabextract" will extract all necessary files from an .exe file.
When I try to compile and install from source I get this error:

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `missing-syscalls'. Stop.

I get the source file for my Realtek 8191SevB wireless driver from here:
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/dow...#RTL8191SE-VA2
Old 21st November 2010, 11:30 AM
comcastuser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
Ndiswrapper has been a no-show in the RPM Fusion repos for Fedora 14. I have no idea what the story behind that is. But ndiswrapper is a tiny program that is easy to compile from source. I would try that in Fedora 14. Make sure you have installed the things necessary for compiling source, get the ndiswrapper tarball, untar it, read the README or INSTALL file, and do the steps. That part is easy. Now, I can't promise that the part about installing the Windows driver will be as easy. I can only say that you should use the driver files that make the device work in XP or W2K (not Vista or later). You usually need at least the INF and SYS files. Some places to get those files are the CD that came with the device, your Windows system's folders, the Internet. The steps to install the driver are heavily documented. Return here if you have problems or questions.
I get a lot of errors when I try to compile ndiswrapper from source. (Worse so than trying to compile the realtek drivers.)

Tags
ndiswrapper