Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2010, 08:05 PM
Comrad Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
How to migrate on a bigger HDD

Hello!
I have Fedora on SATA HDD 80Gb.
Now I want to move all partitions to the 500Gb one.
Some of partitions will remain the same size, some will increase.
I tried that with Paragon Hard Disk Manager, but after it was done I found a problem, that they can't pass fsck checkup.
It says something about cross linked files and on the root partition it failed at all with warning something about bad superblock.

So the question is what is the easiest way to move to the big HDD?
What soft should I use?
Maybe it's sufficient to boot from CD, create new partitions and copy all files from source partitions to destination ones?
Old 26th July 2010, 05:43 AM
Comrad Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Re: How to migrate on a bigger HDD

And no any help, sad...
Anyway, I made it by Acronis True Image Home.
It has ability to clone disk with resizing partitions.
It did it pretty fast and new file systems pass fsck checkup.
Old 15th September 2010, 01:17 PM
quasar66 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Maybe this response is a little late but what you may try is the software called as clonezilla - its a free SW, and the way it works is as below :

1. Download, check the md5, and then burn it onto a CD (this action you may perform in Linux, or in Windows, or whatever OS).
2. Attach the target disk, and boot using this CD, and copy the disk partition as it is.
3. Now restart the machine using the new disk partitions and then expand the partition to capture the fuill volume.

Cheers
Old 19th September 2010, 03:47 PM
mchauber Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am in a similar boat and have used Clonezilla to clone everything from my 250g hard drive to the new, 500g. That part went without issue, except I figured that the resizing would have been an option during the process. That said, I believe I would have had the same results using dd instead of downloading a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

My issue comes with the resizing. When I initially installed, I went with the default lvm setup, and now I'm having a difficult time resizing those partitions. This appears to be quite a bit more difficult than it used to be.

I'm going to have another look at the docs to make sure that system-config-lvm is NOT what I want to do (I don't like messy). It looks like I'll have to reinstall to the larger hard drive and start over (just don't want to deal with all those package downloads, tweaks and updates as this will end up taking several days).

Tags
bigger, hdd, migrate