<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora 13 Driver problems on Dell Inspiron N5010
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 13 Driver problems on Dell Inspiron N5010

I have recently bought a Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop....and I am facing a lot of problems as most of the hardware seems to have no driver installed....
    I am a not an expert, so the problems seem overwhelming to me. I have looked around for solutions on the Internet...but there seems to be no collective solution to my problem.I really hope members of this forum will help me out...

The information regarding the problems I can provide is as follows.....

[***@*********]$ lspci -k
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0447
    Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)

00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 06)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev 06)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel modules: iTCO_wdt
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel modules: i2c-i801
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)

12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0010

13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169
    I cannot access the Internet from my Fedora installation....as the wireless hardware seems to be unsupported.....I have no other means of accessing the Internet except that I have Windows 7 as the other OS on my laptop......please help me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 13 Driver problems on Dell Inspiron N5010

Hello joy12287,

I can't deal with all of those, but that wireless chipset has recently been added to the list supported by the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver (better known as just broadcom-wl). Some people compile it from source, but most people install the pre-compiled version available from RPM Fusion. It can be installed with yum. A wire connection to the Internet would be nice for that. But if you can't do that, then you can download the files that you need in Windows. Then copy them over to the Fedora system and manually install them...

First, identify the kernel you have...
    Code:
    uname -r
    Then go to rpmfusion.org and see the "Browse available packages" on the home page. Find Fedora 13, release, nonfree, and then your kernel arch. In there, see the alphabet index to find the three packages that you need for this. First is broadcom-wl. Next are the two kmod-wl packages. One is the metapackage rpm, and the other is the kernel module rpm. If you have the PAE i686 kernel, be sure to get the PAE version of the two kmod-wl rpms.

Next, somehow transfer those to the Fedora system. Reboot into Fedora and open a terminal. Change directories in the terminal to the directory with the rpms. Then install them all at once...
    Code:
    su
    rpm -ivh *.rpm
    If that went okay, then reboot and check the NetworkManager panel applet for available networks (left-click it). Try to connect.

Lastly, if all of that worked, then remember to go back to rpmfusion.org and install the RPM Fusion repos (install the free and nonfree). If you don't do that, then the broadcom-wl stuff will not get updated when the kernel is updated.
    Last edited by stoat; 14th June 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too, wish I had seen this before I bought one

Installed the broadcom-wl rpms, the card is not recognised and ndiswrapper is pointless as there are no XP drivers available.

I am baffled!

Relevant section lspci:

Code:
    12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
    Last edited by xirconuk; 29th June 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xirconuk

Installed the broadcom-wl rpms, the card is not recognised and ndiswrapper is pointless as there are no XP drivers available.
    Hello xirconuk,

I can't promise a thing, but that card of yours might be the BCM4313 chipset. And it may work with b43 or broadcom-wl. Just for the record, I recommend that you post what packages you installed...
    Code:
    uname -r
    rpm -qa | grep -e broadcom-wl -e kmod-wl -e kernel | sort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I installed fedora 13 in my new desktop ( it has i5 650 processor with NVDIA geo 3100 video driver(in built) and my screen acts weirdly. It just freezes even with 2/3 windows open.
    I installed in dual partition with windows 7 in partition. everything perfect the screen. It freezes with al little heavy grphics work. and my function key does nt work to reboot the machine. everytime I had to switch off the power and switsh on agin.

INTEL SHOULD PROVIDE US WITH ALL DRIVER.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, I shall appreciate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoat
    Hello xirconuk,

I can't promise a thing, but that card of yours might be the BCM4313 chipset. And it may work with b43 or broadcom-wl. Just for the record, I recommend that you post what packages you installed...
    Code:
    uname -r
    rpm -qa | grep -e broadcom-wl -e kmod-wl -e kernel | sort

I'm having the same problem and have been pulling my hair out since yesterday. Here's what I have, thanks heaps for your help

uname
    2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686

rpms list
    abrt-addon-kerneloops-1.1.13-2.fc13.i686
    akmod-wl-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.5.i686
    broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.noarch
    kernel-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686
    kernel-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686
    kernel-devel-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686
    kernel-headers-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686
    kmod-wl-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.5.i686

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You appear to have what you need installed.

If you have a chipset supported by broadcom-wl, then try rebooting with the new kernel and check the NetworkManager panel applet icon for available networks.

If that got you nowhere, then check for the wl module in this...
    Code:
    lsmod | sort
    If it's not there, then try manually loading it and check again for available networks...
    Code:
    su
    modprobe wl
    If that worked, then add that modprobe command to /etc/rc.local.

If nothing is working yet, start looking for something disabling the wireless card like a BIOS setting, an on-off switch, or rfkill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You appear to have what you need installed.

If you have a chipset supported by broadcom-wl, then try rebooting with the new kernel and check the NetworkManager panel applet icon for available networks.

If that got you nowhere, then check for the wl module in this...
    Code:
    lsmod | sort
    If it's not there, then try manually loading it and check again for available networks...
    Code:
    su
    modprobe wl
    If that worked, then add that modprobe command to /etc/rc.local.

If nothing is working yet, start looking for something disabling the wireless card like a BIOS setting, an on-off switch, or rfkill.
    -----------------

AAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGG - not about you though, it's about the bloody Broadcom card....

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I've got a Dell N5010 with dual boot (Fedora and Windows 7), the wireless card works fine under Windows, so it's not the BIOS or the switch (there isn't one)

rfkill list shows no blocks
    0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no

Problem is I don't have a wl mod after rebooting, I get "driver loaded" after installing the mod but nothing after the reboot. Hence modprobe wl doesn't do anything....

I had a problem installing kmod-wl but saw one of your earlier posts re. akmod-wl and kmod-wl, so I installed akmod-wl and it seemed to be ok.

At my wits end here, thanks for any help you could offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phan9999

Problem is I don't have a wl mod after rebooting, I get "driver loaded" after installing the mod but nothing after the reboot. Hence modprobe wl doesn't do anything....
    Well, that modprobe command doesn't really fix anything. It just loads the wl module. The time to check for available networks is immediately after the modprobe command, not after rebooting. It's sort of a test in this situation really. Many people find that the modprobe wl command works to load the wl module and makes the interface connect, but they have to add it to /etc/rc.local to make the module load automatically at boot time. So if wl is not listed by lsmod after rebooting, then do the modprobe command again, and after a few seconds left-click the NetworkManager panel applet icon to see if networks are listed as available. If not then check the lsmod list again for wl. If wl is listed but the the interface is still not working, then try restarting NetworkManager.
    Code:
    su
    modprobe wl
    service NetworkManager restart
    Wait several seconds and check for available networks in the NetworkManager panel applet. If that resulted in available networks, then try adding the modprobe wl command to /etc/rc.local and see if the interface works automatically after rebooting.

If after all of that it's still not working, then confirm that you have a supported chipset. You haven't done that yet. I mentioned it earlier, but I trusted you to know. This usually will list chipsets that can use broadcom-wl...
    Code:
    lspci

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that modprobe command doesn't really fix anything. It just loads the wl module. The time to check for available networks is immediately after the modprobe command, not after rebooting. It's sort of a test in this situation really. Many people find that the modprobe wl command works to load the wl module and makes the interface connect, but they have to add it to /etc/rc.local to make the module load automatically at boot time. So if wl is not listed by lsmod after rebooting, then do the modprobe command again, and after a few seconds left-click the NetworkManager panel applet icon to see if networks are listed as available. If not then check the lsmod list again for wl. If wl is listed but the the interface is still not working, then try restarting NetworkManager.
    Code:
    su
    modprobe wl
    service NetworkManager restart
    Wait several seconds and check for available networks in the NetworkManager panel applet. If that resulted in available networks, then try adding the modprobe wl command to /etc/rc.local and see if the interface works automatically after rebooting.

If after all of that it's still not working, then confirm that you have a supported chipset. You haven't done that yet. I mentioned it earlier, but I trusted you to know. This usually will list chipsets that can use broadcom-wl...
    Code:
    lspci

Hi Stoat,

Did all that, didn't do anything but it gave me an idea and I think I accidentally fixed the problem now.

I noticed that I had two kernels on my drive, one is newer than the other.
    kernel-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686
    kernel-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686

So I went and edit the grub.conf file to allow be to choose which one to boot from. I found that when I booted from the newer one (2.6.34), reinstall both kmod-wl and broadcom-wl, then restart the network and NetworkManager then BOOOOOM, the wireless connection was there.

Can't see why or how but I've since stopped banging my head against the wall. Hope this helps the next guy who has problem installing a wireless card on a Dell N5010 (btw, it was a BCM4313, that's how I got this thread in the first place).

Thank you for all your help, Stoat, you're a champ, much appreciated.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: Fedora 13 Driver problems on Dell Inspiron N5010

Hello,
    i ma facing the same problem and by touchpad is also not working . I have dell inspiron n5010 , the wireless card is BCM4727 in it but it is not working please tell me how to configure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more joining this ship. I bought Dell n5010 with linux (ubuntu) preinstalled. Seeing how its shipped with linux os, i thought it would be nice to start getting better accustomed with linux.
    Since ubuntu with gnome seemed very bland, after reading abit about various distros i got me fedora with kde.
    So, being a newbie, i got lots of random questions whitch came up after i tried making it work.

True, broadcom_wl makes it work. But installing it is a pain, if i use live cd (it needs development package installed to build kernel modules, cant find those in default installation). So, is there a development module in live cd and if yes, how does one install it?
    If there isnt, gotta download DVD and make custom installlation and choose whitch packages to install (that is problematic too, since i'm not sure what packages are needed/will be used by me).

I did install fedora 13 from dvd, clicked on some development packages, and it did seem to allow building of broadcom_wl module, (doing it step by step from driver help file). And it ended up success - driver saw wireless, i got conected. Until i rebooted pc. Basically driver doesnt load as fedora boots. Whats stopping it from loading (even though i set it up to load on boot according to that broadcom help file). So its like i have to install module each time i turn on my laptop (yes, i could put it to sleep, but still). What could block loading of broadcom driver?

Since 'fixing up' those missing drivers is a lot easier with internet connection, i'd like to sort this one first... While i was struggling, fedora 14 was released, so i decided to make a fresh start, with live cd. it looks shinier, with cuter icons, but still cant handle wireless in dell n5010. So, maybe someone can help with couple advices, thanks in advance.