Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th August 2010, 01:49 PM
muhammad ammar Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Disable Shutdown Messages

Hi All,

How to disable logging to console in Fedora 13? To get rid of messages like

Stopping HAL daemon: [ OK ]

and all other messages during shutdown and restart.

Actually, earlier when i shutdown the system only a single shutdown message is showing on the screen, i don't know what happened, now it is showing lot of messages.

i tried the quiet parameter in kernel boot parmeters but no effect.

Anyone have any idea?

Regards,
Old 27th August 2010, 03:02 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Disable Shutdown Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhammad ammar

How to disable logging to console in Fedora 13? To get rid of messages like

Stopping HAL daemon: [ OK ]

and all other messages during shutdown and restart.

Actually, earlier when i shutdown the system only a single shutdown message is showing on the screen, i don't know what happened, now it is showing lot of messages.
I don't understand the connection between logging into Fedora 13 and those messages that you want to hide. Sorry. But in my experience, the kernel parameter "quiet" suppresses kernel debug spew that flies by very early during booting. For most of us, it is of very little value, so the quiet kernel parameter is added to the kernel command in grub.conf by default. That kernel parameter (whether present or not) does nothing regarding shutdown messages in my experience.

The kernel parameter "rhgb" in Fedora 13 runs the Plymouth graphical boot which hides those classic lines of text with [ OK ] or [FAILED] that are related to init stuff and services startup. I have noticed that removing the rhgb kernel parameter to allow those startup messages to be displayed also results in some similar messages being displayed at shutdown.

So, do you have rhgb in your kernel commands in grub.conf? If not, then add it.
Old 27th August 2010, 06:48 AM
muhammad ammar Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
I don't understand the connection between logging into Fedora 13 and those messages that you want to hide. Sorry. But in my experience, the kernel parameter "quiet" suppresses kernel debug spew that flies by very early during booting. For most of us, it is of very little value, so the quiet kernel parameter is added to the kernel command in grub.conf by default. That kernel parameter (whether present or not) does nothing regarding shutdown messages in my experience.

The kernel parameter "rhgb" in Fedora 13 runs the Plymouth graphical boot which hides those classic lines of text with [ OK ] or [FAILED] that are related to init stuff and services startup. I have noticed that removing the rhgb kernel parameter to allow those startup messages to be displayed also results in some similar messages being displayed at shutdown.

So, do you have rhgb in your kernel commands in grub.conf? If not, then add it.
Sorry for confusion.

What i meant to say is that earlier when i use the poweroff command to shutdown the system, there is only a single shutdown message showing on screen, no other message.

yes, rhgb is present. I didn't change any kernel boot parameter.

I don't know the cause of problem, may be due to updates or removal of some package.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:01 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have always seen similar behaviour to muhammad ammar (I'm using 12, but saw the same thing with 9, 10, and 11).

For me, using the `rhgb' boot option in the `kernel=' line in the grub entry always suppresses the messages when booting up, but only sometimes does it suppress the messages when shutting down: sometimes I get a simple "Shutting down..." centred on the screen, but more often I get the "Stopping squid ... [OK]" messages.

I have never been able to find out why the shutdown messages are sometimes hidden and sometimes not; it seems to be different every time I shut the machine down!
Old 29th August 2010, 12:03 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedto51

For me, using the `rhgb' boot option in the `kernel=' line in the grub entry always suppresses the messages when booting up, but only sometimes does it suppress the messages when shutting down: sometimes I get a simple "Shutting down..." centred on the screen, but more often I get the "Stopping squid ... [OK]" messages.
Yeah me, too. But you know what? I don't know why we fret so much over the startup (and, I guess, shutdown) messages and the graphics to hide them (or not). Red Hat Graphical Boot always seemed to work. Now there's Plymouth, and for me it works on some machines and not others. I used to torture myself doing all of the published tweaks and workarounds to make it work (sometimes, and sometimes not). Nowadays, I couldn't care any less about it. If it works, good. If I have to watch the little colored bars have their race across the bottom of the screen, then that's good, too. And when I boot good old Debian Lenny, I get reminded all over again how inoffensive the classic messages are and have always been IMO. All of this rhgb and Plymouth business seems to me to be a lot of effort and development for nothing, really.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:17 AM
skolnick Offline

linuxchrome

Funny, the first thing I always do after installing fedora, is removing "rhgb" and "quiet" from the kernel lines...it gives linux a "geeky feeling" with all the kernel lines appearing as it boots. I love it :P.

Regards.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:52 AM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It also lets you know when something starts acting strange...
Old 29th August 2010, 06:28 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Those messages come from the services shutdown scripts.
It's a very bad idea to bypass service shutdown.
It's similar to hitting the power switch when you use "powerdown -f"

The nondestructive way to do this is by editing the line n /etc/init/rc.conf from:
console output
to
# console output

This comments out the "console output" command, which is explained in "man 5 init".
So then all the messages will go to /dev/null , and you won't see any errors if they occur.

I don't think it's usually a smart idea (but maybe you have a special application), but this is how you do it.

INcidentally this disavles console messages for any runstate chage (like "telinit 3" for example).
The exception is that the startup services messages are started from /etc/init/rcS.conf which
has the same line (near the top).

Last edited by stevea; 29th August 2010 at 06:42 AM.

Tags
console, fedora-13, logging