Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2004, 07:49 PM
beijingjj Offline

automatic updates (the throbbing red exclamation mark)

I like the automatic update notification, but I also like to control when my box is talking on the network. I disabled the rhnsd service but the exclamation mark continues to throb and check for updates. Where is this controlled and how can I disable it?

Thanks.
Old 4th December 2004, 07:55 PM
imdeemvp Offline

In fc2 all I did was right click on the icon and exit and it did not re appear. But in fc3 I have not disable it.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 4th December 2004, 07:58 PM
beijingjj Offline

I've tried that, and it reappears next reboot. I'd like to know what's starting it from a lower level, though, like what script or config file so I can be sure it won't come back.
Old 4th December 2004, 08:15 PM
imdeemvp Offline

I just noticed something......if you right click on it and go to >Configuration >click on foward and in the next window you will see a button that says remove from panel if you click there it will revome. Read the terms at the end.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 5th December 2004, 03:10 PM
beijingjj Offline

That's true, that does remove it from the panel, but I wonder if it is still active in the background, maintaining a list of updated packages...

I guess only a sniffer will tell.
Old 8th December 2004, 12:40 PM
beijingjj Offline

I have discovered that the next time I restart my computer the exclamation mark has returned. I sure would love to figure out how to control this.

Tags
automatic, exclamation, mark, red, throbbing, updates