Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st June 2010, 04:42 AM
necrosis Offline

macosfirefox
Fedora 13 Kickstart Install from HDD ISO

I have not used Fedora in a long while (since version 5 I think).

I am moving back to it for my new home server but there is something that is driving me completely crazy. Can you no longer do HDD installs from a ISO?

I whipped out my old kickstart files and worked off of them and all seams to be OK but every time it says it is unable to find the install source.

Here are the first two lines of my KS file:
Code:
install
harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=/linux_install/fedora/iso
The sha256 checked Fedora-13-x86_64-DVD.iso file resides in:
Code:
/dev/sdb1/linux_install/fedora/iso
Menu option in SYSLINUX:
Code:
LABEL fedora_13_x86_64
	MENU LABEL Fedora 13 x86_64
	KERNEL linux/fedora/13/x86_64/vmlinuz ks=hd:sdb1/linux_install/fedora/fedora_13.cfg
	APPEND initrd=linux/fedora/13/x86_64/initrd.img
	TEXT HELP
	Fedora 13 x86_64
	ENDTEXT
Other information:
Booting off of a USB drive running SYSLINUX (system has no optical drive).
KS file resides on the HDD and seams to find it OK because I got no errors of that sort.
KS file and ISO have the same permissions. 'Everyone' has read access to the folders and files.

Last edited by necrosis; 1st June 2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 2nd June 2010, 04:48 AM
necrosis Offline

macosfirefox
Re: Fedora 13 Kickstart Install from HDD ISO

I did some more reading:

Seams that at some point Fedora (or more specifically Anaconda) stopped being able to read the "stage2" (install.img) file out of an ISO. As to why this changed I have no idea.

So it seams I have to reference the 'install.img' and the location of the ISO now... or just do the http/ftp method and specify a online mirror.

Booting the installer with no real issues using the following syslinux/pxelinux menu:
Code:
LABEL fedora_13_x86_64
	MENU LABEL Fedora 13 x86_64
	KERNEL linux/fedora/13/x86_64/vmlinuz ksdevice=eth0 ip=dhcp repo=http://fedora.secsup.org/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/ lang=en_US keymap=us
	APPEND initrd=linux/fedora/13/x86_64/initrd.img
	TEXT HELP
	Fedora 13 x86_64
	ENDTEXT
I must say this change is not well documented. That or it is because I have not used Fedora since 5. Been using CentOS since then.

Last edited by necrosis; 2nd June 2010 at 04:50 AM.

Tags
fedora 13, harddrive, install, iso, kickstart