Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th May 2010, 11:21 AM
jaimeaux Offline

linuxsafari
"/" partition losing space.

Ladies & Gents,

Today I installed fedora 13, with 1 gB root partition (ext 4 i believe), a 500 mB boot partition (i forget which i used here) and a 1 gB swap. For some reason unbeknown to myself, my root partition claimed to only have (blank) amount of space. I thought this was normal, but as I continued to install programs, it would show a smaller amount in the aforementioned blank space. I eventually had to reinstall just because it couldn't run the avahi-daemon, and therefore wouldn't run gnome.... leaving me with a black screen after login. I had to back up my files via CLI and then be pissed off all day.

Can someone PLEASE, for the love of GOD, and all things holy, explain to me what happened here, and how to prevent it? It would be MUCH appreciated.

kthxbai!
Jaimeaux"
Old 30th May 2010, 11:25 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: "/" partition losing space.

Reinstall and this time make sure that you allow at least 10Gb for / ( I would recommend 15Gb + ).
Old 30th May 2010, 11:39 AM
jaimeaux Offline

linuxsafari

leigh123linux,

I don't understand WHY though. I've always been told that you rarely need more than 5 gB for a root partition... I'm lacking the understanding here. When I ran Fedora 12 I had a 5 gB / partition, and it worked great.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:06 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeaux View Post
leigh123linux,

I don't understand WHY though. I've always been told that you rarely need more than 5 gB for a root partition... I'm lacking the understanding here. When I ran Fedora 12 I had a 5 gB / partition, and it worked great.
Why skimp on / ? , 5Gb is not enough IMO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	19596  
Old 30th May 2010, 12:08 PM
jaimeaux Offline

linuxsafari

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to have a point if it worked before. Btw, wtf is "IMO?"
Old 30th May 2010, 12:14 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeaux View Post
I don't know, it just doesn't seem to have a point if it worked before. Btw, wtf is "IMO?"
IMO = In my opinion
Old 30th May 2010, 12:15 PM
jaimeaux Offline

linuxsafari

Aaaah, I see. wow, i'm dumb, lolz. Regardless, my point stands. "If it worked before, why not now?"

Is the path that it's saving all the files to in / ?
Old 30th May 2010, 12:26 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Sounds as if whoever told you this (that root only needs 5 GB) might have been using some mental shorthand. Unless you are making separate partitions for /lib, /var /home and so on, everything you install is making use of root.

When you install a package it makes use of /lib, /bin, /etc, (though that will be small, usually), /share/doc and often /var, all of which are under /. So that 5GB will get used up very quickly.

Whoever said use 5GB might have been thinking of setting up separate partitions for the others. (Or, it may have been an older book-- like Windows and Mac, Linux has become considerably larger and bloated over the years.)

You say it worked before--how long ago was this?

IMO is in my opinion. IMHO is in my humble opinion. I tend to write, IMNSHO, In my not so humble opinion.

I realize it's frustrating, especially when something written relatively recently is no longer relevant, but a gig hasn't been enough for awhile--even with a fairly complex partitioning scheme, such as putting the aforementioned /usr and /var (and often /home) in their own partitions, a gig would be pushing it.

Even with the smaller distributions, in most cases, a gig wouldn't be adequate, unless, as mentioned above, one uses a more complex partitioning scheme.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:32 PM
jaimeaux Offline

linuxsafari

Fair enough. (Yaaaay, LOGIC!)

When it worked (the 5Gb root partition) was just today, before I switched over to 13. It's been working so far, but a little buggy, now that I've upped it to roughly 7-8 Gb.

I also made a /home that was the rest of the HDD.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:41 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

What were you using before F13? (Idle curiosity on my part---I'm surprised it hadn't filled up earlier.)
Old 30th May 2010, 12:42 PM
jaimeaux Offline

linuxsafari

Fedora 12... I had done the same thing on 10 and 11 as well.
Old 30th May 2010, 03:29 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Interesting--I'm actually surprised you didn't run into trouble with them, TBH. (To Be Honest) .

Maybe you installed more this time, or perhaps, it's simply the inevitable bloat of all operating systems as time goes on.

Tags
losing, partition, space