Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2010, 12:41 AM
X-Fi6 Offline

windows_vistafirefox
X.org ceases to start

Ah, the classy "init: prefdm main process (NNNN) terminated with status 1" -> "respawning" -> "respawning too fast, stopped". I'm getting this after I think a yum update since it's just appeared out of nowhere on my Fedora 12 laptop.

I'm only the slightest experienced with Fedora. After researching, I understand prefdm is the bash script used in place of startx to start X.org when the OS is booting in Runlevel 5.

I still need a quick rundown on viewing the logs more easily or transferring them over to another machine. I couldn't get iwconfig working so I don't have internet access. The previous two kernel versions in GRUB don't boot, either.

Since it won't even boot past the login screen and I just barely know my way around the CLI, I'd accept any help on this. What do you consider I do after logging in as root in Runlevel 3?

Looking forward to anything.

Last edited by X-Fi6; 29th May 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 29th May 2010, 02:47 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: X.org ceases to start

I would first look into the general message log

Quote:
cd /var/log

more messages
Look for error messages. Then look into the log file for Xorg

Quote:
more Xorg.0.log
and see if there are any problems reported.
Old 30th May 2010, 02:26 AM
X-Fi6 Offline

windows_7ie
Re: X.org ceases to start

I see it's a problem with nouveau.
http://phppoll.org/Xorg.0.log
Quote:
(II) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(II) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 211
resize called 1280 800
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
I'll get right on to a yum update and yum reinstall xorg-x11-drv-nouveau or xorg-x11-drivers.

Edit: Absolutely NO luck. Still the same errors even after a yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nouveau, yum install xorg-x11-drv-nouveau. I get "libgmodule-2.0: Invalid ELF Header" in one of the messages during init 5, so I did yum install glib and it made no change. Init 5 gives me the same errors as always at the end, however: prefdm terminated with status 1.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log is the same as before, and messages and boot.log are empty.

What do you suppose I do now?

Last edited by X-Fi6; 30th May 2010 at 03:49 AM.

Tags
ceases, start, xorg