Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th May 2010, 02:33 PM
jbuckley2004 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Help Please - Can't create bootable DVD for F13

This feels, dumb, but I've successfully created bootable DVDs for several distros over the years. For some reason, F13 frustrates me.

First, I downloaded F13 x86-64 the day of the release, checked the sha256sum against the CHECKSUM file (it passed), and burned a DVD. I see 5 folders and 10 files on it, as expected.

I restart, and my PC (AMD Phenom 9600 quad, Gigabyte S Series GA MA69G-S3H motherboard) does not boot from the DVD, but from the hard drive.

So I get into the bios, check to make sure that the boot order is correct (it is) and try again. No joy.

Next, I assume I screwed up, had a bad burn, down load and burn again, checking everything. Still won't boot from DVD. Try getting the ISO from torrents, (checking sha256sum all the while), burn my 3rd DVD (using Brasero this time) and - same problem.

Now I assume I have a hardware problem, and for grins, put in the F12 ISO DVD. It boots from there just fine.

So I don't have a hardware problem, and I seem to have 3 good burns, but it's not recognized as a bootable DVD.

Does anyone have any idea where I might have screwed up?
Old 27th May 2010, 02:42 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Re: Help Please - Can't create bootable DVD for F13

You have to choose "burn image" in your burning software. You cannot just burn the iso to the disk.
Old 27th May 2010, 03:08 PM
ajcuda Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Did you try burning the live CD? Also, do you have a spare 4GB usb stick laying around to try that way? I always use DVD-RW for exactly this scenario.
Old 27th May 2010, 03:46 PM
jbuckley2004 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For David, Yes, I'm pretty sure I did, following this http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...Linux-K3b.html exactly.

But because they say "nobody's human", I'm trying it again. (That's DVD #4)

I've been burning the full version to DVD, but my backup plan/work-around is to try to burn a CD (not a DVD) with the live version. Trying from a USB will be my 3rd option.

Thanks.
Old 27th May 2010, 04:36 PM
Salamandra Offline

windows_vistafirefox

I`ve had the same problem. DVD x86_64 F13 booted in the laptop but not in the desktop DVD i686 F13 booted and DVD x86_64 F12 booted too, so there is no DVD drive problem.

I did yum upgrade.

If there is no solution you can install F12 and upgrade it via preupgrade (big /boot needed)

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade

or yum upgrade

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Good luck.
Linux User #365705

Last edited by Salamandra; 27th May 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 27th May 2010, 04:47 PM
assen Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi,

What software do you use for burning? On default F12 desktop, Gnome, the burning software Brasero is notoriously buggy (showck and awe - on a fully updated F12 Brasero burns an ISO image in TAO mode instead DAO/SAO mode resulting in an unbootable disk F13 disk).

To make sure, just download the ISO image, then open a terminal and burn it with "cdrecord --dao".

WWell,
Old 27th May 2010, 04:48 PM
Salamandra Offline

windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by assen View Post
Hi,

What software do you use for burning? On default F12 desktop, Gnome, the burning software Brasero is notoriously buggy (showck and awe - on a fully updated F12 Brasero burns an ISO image in TAO mode instead DAO/SAO mode resulting in an unbootable disk F13 disk).

To make sure, just download the ISO image, then open a terminal and burn it with "cdrecord --dao".

WWell,
I burned one dvd with brasero and another with k3b. None of them worked.
Linux User #365705
Old 27th May 2010, 07:01 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

I've seen someone else in the forum report exactly what you did - the x86-64 DVD didn't boot, but the 32-bit one does. It's quite odd, because they're composed exactly the same way using the same tools, but the whole area of bootable media is pretty voodoo-ish when you get down to the ugly details :/ there certainly could be some sort of odd issue here catching out some particular systems, but it's very hard to figure it out precisely, and I'm not sure who has expertise in the field.

frankly the 'workaround' options of using the live image or a USB stick are likely to get you up and running the soonest.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 27th May 2010, 07:16 PM
JONOR Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Can't create bootable DVD for F13

My F13 x86_64 DVD.iso will not work either for two desktops each with a gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H mobo and a dual core athlon cpu.
However the DVD.iso contains 17 items rather than 15 :

EFI folder
images folder
isolinux folder
Packages folder
repodata folder
GPL file
media.repo file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-13-primary file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-13-SPARC file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386 file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc64 file
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64 file
TRANS.TBL file
.discinfo file
.treeinfo file

3630045184 bytes in total.

Identical details and problems over two separate BitTorrent sessions and several DVDs.

The old F12 DVD installs repeatedly fine.

Last edited by JONOR; 29th May 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:54 PM
jbuckley2004 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
I've seen someone else in the forum report exactly what you did - the x86-64 DVD didn't boot, but the 32-bit one does. It's quite odd, because they're composed exactly the same way using the same tools, but the whole area of bootable media is pretty voodoo-ish when you get down to the ugly details :/ there certainly could be some sort of odd issue here catching out some particular systems, but it's very hard to figure it out precisely, and I'm not sure who has expertise in the field.

frankly the 'workaround' options of using the live image or a USB stick are likely to get you up and running the soonest.
Yup. The Live version got me up and running (and I'm posting from it now).
Gee, didn't realize that the bootable media is THAT voodoo-ish, but at least it gives me hope that it's not my hardware, and a later spin or F-14 will work.

And incidentally, I burned DVDs using both K3b and Brasero. They appear to be identical. In this case, I don't think burning is the problem.

Because I'm up and running, I'm going to mark this thread a solved.
Old 28th May 2010, 01:05 AM
MidnightWatcher Offline

windows_7firefox

I have the same problem as well. The x64 DVD didn't boot. I burned it again at 1/2 speed thinking I had a bad burn. Still doesn't boot.

What sucks is I only had two spare DVDs. Now I'm out and the stores are all closed.

Can we install/upgrade to Fedora 13 using the DVD within Fedora 12?

There is a bug with the x64 bootable DVD.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:07 AM
weitjong Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I do not have problem with x86_64 DVD. The DVD booted just fine on my system. I am using DVD-RW 4x disc. Believe it or not I have been formatting and burning the same disc over and over again over these years. F13 is no exception. I burned the iso to disc by using Nautilus, right-click the iso and choose "Write to Disc...".
Old 28th May 2010, 10:03 PM
icole Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I have the same problem. Have a Gigabyte GA MA78GPM DSH2 motherboard and nothing I do will make it boot the DVD. It will boot the Windows install DVD and I found a Fedora 9 and it boots. I've burned 5 DVD's and none work. The checksum verifies. Tried one of the DVD's in Dell PC and it booted fine. Think we're supposed to go out an buy a new system so that we can boot and install Fedora 13 Tried creating a USB drive and it won't boot either. Guess I'll have to skip Fedora 13. Maybe move to some other distribution, but I've been in the RedHat arena since release 1 or 2 and hate to change.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:18 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

why not just use the live CD, as the OP did?
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 28th May 2010, 11:11 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by icole

I've burned 5 DVD's and none work. The checksum verifies. Tried one of the DVD's in Dell PC and it booted fine.
Hello icole,

Now that right there could be a different matter. You can believe me or not, but it's entirely possible for a disk with perfect data but marginal optical quality to work in some optical drives, but not all. Sometimes not even in the same drive that burned it. The data on a disk is either perfect or bad with no in-between. But the optical quality varies widely from excellent to ragged edge to unreadable. And in addition to that, different drives have different tolerances for disks of marginal optical quality. But there's more. Drives that at one time produced excellent burns can gradually (or suddenly) stop doing that. And a drive's tolerance for poor disks can change with time. And not all brands of disk are the same quality-wise. I've been through all of this personally.

So for this disk burning business, I recommend the following...
  1. Always verify the ISO file used to create the disk.
  2. Always have your burning software verify the burned data.
  3. Always use the highest quality disks you can find. They are not always the most famous or most expensive. And you can't find them in a corner drug store. I did many tests with several brands and several drives. BTW, some famous brands don't really make their own disks, and they can change manufacturers at any time with noticeable results.
  4. Optionally, you can use software utilities to scan the disks that you burn for optical quality. I scan every disk that I burn in addition to all of the above steps. It's how I know when I have found a good brand of disk, and that a good burner can become a bad one, and how famous brands can change manufacturers.