Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2010, 05:11 PM
gjanssens Offline

linuxmandrivafirefox
Unable to install on gpt harddisk

When I try to do a fresh install of F13 on my Macbook pro, anaconda refuses to install to the internal harddrive.

This harddrive (as all Apple hardware) uses the guid partition table scheme, gpt in short.

Anaconda give this error message after clicking next in the partitioning step:
Code:
sda must have a MSDOS disk label
There's no way anaconda will let me pass this step. I even tried to use gptsync before running the installer so that an MS-DOS compatible mbr section is present in the boot sector. Still no dice. Anaconda still recognizes the disk as gpt partitioned and refuses to continue with the installation.

I have found a bugreport that is probably related: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=574551

The report states that gpt support for BIOS systems has been disabled because it can't be supported properly. The thing is, a Macbook Pro is an EFI based system, not a BIOS system.

I'm pretty stuck here. I could easily setup dual boot with F12. F13 doesn't seem to allow this anymore, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Can anybody help me get F13 set up properly on my hardware ?

Thanks,

Geert

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM CDT ----------

Hmm, after submitting my post, I found out my issue was solved in a more recent anaconda release.

So I tried Fedora 13 RC3, and now anaconda will allow me to complete the install.

(Why is it often I find the required information after posting my questions ? I did search a lot before posting, you know )

Last edited by gjanssens; 19th May 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Solved