Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:35 PM
Pete051 Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
Fedora 12 updated now constant reboots

Hi I've just allowed the update manager to update my system and now it boots as far as the login screen then immediately reboots, tried to use the installation disk repair system option but the only option it would allow was install system. anyone known how to boot into single user mode to try and fix this? or is re-installation the only option?
Pete

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM CDT ----------

I've discovered that hitting esc will booting gives me a more informative boot seems that udev is not loading looks terminal to me
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:09 PM
Firewing1 Offline

macossafari
Re: Fedora 12 updated now constant reboots

Try shutting down your machine and then as soon as you press the power button, keep hitting the down arrow over and over again quickly to try and get into the GRUB boot menu. You should see a list of one or more kernels - try booting from the second or third entry if there are multiple and see if that works.
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:30 PM
Pete051 Offline

linuxdebianmozilla

No that didn't work all I'm getting is the info starting udev FAILED not stopping watchdog then boot to the login screen and immediately reboot
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:53 PM
d3n0 Offline

windows_vistasafari

I have the same problem. To make things worse system won't boot from cd.

You could boot with some live cd like systemrescue and then chhroot into fedora enviroment.
You'll be able to check what packages you updated (something udev related for sure) and eventually downgrade. Disable updates-testing and then try to install that udev related package(s). If that doesn't work then you'll have to use rpm. Remove packages without deps download them from repo manualy and install them with rpm.
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:55 PM
Pete051 Offline

linuxdebianmozilla

Hmm curiouser and curiouser, I've just tried the Fedora installation disk on my laptop (single core celeron) and it worked perfectly but on the desktop system the only option you can reach is install. The desktop is a dual core 64bit jobby running 32bit fedora, I wonder if that could be the root of the problem, only way to find out is to download and burn a 64 bit version I guess, are'nt computers wonderful
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:02 PM
d3n0 Offline

windows_vistasafari

Well sometimes CDs burned with one CD writer cannot be (well or at all) read with another one. That's at least my experience.
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:11 PM
Pete051 Offline

linuxsafari

Sorted! sometimes my stupidity can be quite worrying, new motherboard with options in the bios for enable/dis-enable usb keyboard and mouse which were set to dis-enable. Soon as that was fixed the install cd repair option worked so it was simply a question of chroot /mnt/sysimage and yum downgrade udev
Closed Thread

Tags
reboots update