Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th March 2010, 12:26 AM
billquinn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
"Cannot move file to trash...

I tried several searches and couldn't seem to find anything on this problem.

I'm trying to move certain files to Trash using File Browser. I continually get this message:

"Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?"

I am logged in under my user name; I (my user name) am the owner of these files; ALL permissions are on (rwx for owner, group, and other); and Trash is empty. Still I get this message.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 6th March 2010, 12:30 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Full partition ? Quota reached (if enabled) ?

V
Old 6th March 2010, 12:50 AM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by billquinn View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?
Yeah.

My guess is that the files you are trying to move to the trash are on a vfat or ntfs filesystem.

By the way, if you don't really want to delete them then why are you trying to move them to the trash?
Old 6th March 2010, 12:56 AM
billquinn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks, Hlingler, for the response. You've helped me before, and I'm glad we meet again.

I've never done anything with quotas. On the partition being full, I can't imagine this. I think df should give the needed information, right? Here's the output:

Code:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_localhost2-lv_root
                     285263392   6610456 264162312   3% /
tmpfs                  509104         508       508596   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb2            198337     56414       131683  30% /boot
localhost1.localdomain:/
                     238129920   9422080 216611456   5% /mnt/localhost1
Oops! In looking again at this df output, I think I know what's happening. I have two computers that are networked, each running F12. I am on localhost2 but trying to move files to Trash that are on localhost1, whose / directory (i.e., the whole file system) is mounted on /mnt/localhost1, a directory on localhost2. Whose Trash file will they go into? On localhost1 or localhost2? That's why File Browser (of localhost2) can't move the files (which physically are on localhost1) to Trash, right? Is there any way to direct File Browser to move them to one of the Trash files? I don't care which one I use.
Old 6th March 2010, 05:21 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Hi billquinn:

This case appears to be a non-standard (to say the least) use of the "Trash" function. In addition to the possible network and mounting permissions, file locking, and ownership issues, I am not entirely certain that this case falls under the intended scope of the current implementation of the 'Trash' feature (but don't quote me on that - I could be wrong). In my understanding, 'Trash' is intended only to handle one's personal files ($HOME) on a single OS (in this case: localhost2, since that is your current running OS). You could of course simply move (via cut-and-paste) the file(s) to your ~/.Trash/.. folder on either filesystem (assuming permissions are correct), but then this would effectively bypass the 'Trash' feature completely, and leave no restore index entry.

If you are certain that all network, mounting, permissions, file locking, and ownership considerations are in order, then I would have to conclude that Nautilus (?) file browser and/or 'Trash' feature are simply not capable of dealing with a file(s) physically located on a "remote" (networked, not local) partition. I can see how the absence of the target filesystem (un-mounted, or network down) would make recovery impossible, blowing Nautilus' little mind.

If someone with more knowledge and experience can enlighten on this, I hope they do so.

HTH,
V

Tags
file, trash