Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 19th January 2010, 12:49 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Clock

This app STILL doesn't work?!?

I searched the forum and still no 'fix.' This is the *only* distro I have tried/used that doesn't have a time on my desktop.

Fedora is becoming Mickey Mouse.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:53 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
what a mess

Any reason no one cares to work on certain issues? Examples: the pathetic clock that doesn't work... the live usb application that also doesn't work...
Old 19th January 2010, 12:56 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Please don't double post again.
Old 19th January 2010, 02:37 PM
newiLuvatar Offline

linuxfirefox
clock is working just fine here, and if I remember correctly, it always has (since fc4...)
Old 19th January 2010, 04:27 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by newiLuvatar View Post
clock is working just fine here, and if I remember correctly, it always has (since fc4...)
I don't think so.

I just searched the forum and several people were discussing how you can't change the time or settings.

I added the widgit for the clock, 'Digital Clock' and the local time is wrong. I don't see any way to change it. I am using Fedora KDE.

You should be able to set or reset the time. It's a GUI!

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM CST ----------

I guess I can't ask for support since I'll just be told by a few people that it already works.

That's what happened when I asked for support for the Live USB iso application.
Old 19th January 2010, 04:35 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedora View Post
I don't think so.

I just searched the forum and several people were discussing how you can't change the time or settings.

I added the widgit for the clock, 'Digital Clock' and the local time is wrong. I don't see any way to change it. I am using Fedora KDE.

You should be able to set or reset the time. It's a GUI!

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM CST ----------

I guess I can't ask for support since I'll just be told by a few people that it already works.

That's what happened when I asked for support for the Live USB iso application.

Post #2 that you claim is a support question is just another pathetic rant IMO as there is no relevant info or issue defined.

P.S Your Live USB question was also a double post.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=237934
Old 19th January 2010, 04:54 PM
beaker_ Offline

unknownunknown
Both big and little hands are pointing to lunch here. I suggest you change the time on that pc.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:00 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Post #2 that you claim is a support question is just another pathetic rant IMO as there is no relevant info or issue defined.

P.S Your Live USB question was also a double post.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=237934
I meant to change it from a rant to a question. I am curious what the answer is as to why it is so difficult to use a clock.

I didn't think the usb question was a double post. Someone replied saying it works and someone else replied saying to use a certain method but I responded that I tried it already. If you read any of the responses in the usb threads, I am saying I tried the built-in application in Fedora and also UNetbootin both in Linux AND in Windows. Each method which totals three (if you want to be technical) doesn't work with Fedora 12. At least, on my machine. I created it on a powerful desktop and could not boot it on a Thinkpad T41.

As for the clock, I am more intrigued and surprised that the clock program is so buggy (imho). Or incomplete. It might be a KDE thing but I have KDE in other distros and the clock works. The time is right and I believe the time settings can be changed. I'll double check, though. I was just hoping someone had an explanation about the clock.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM CST ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker_ View Post
Both big and little hands are pointing to lunch here. I suggest you change the time on that pc.
'Can't change the time on the analog clock, 'can't change the time on the digital clock. Why should I change the time on the PC when the time on other states (i.e. operating systems) are correct? At min., I can adjust the setings. This shouldn't be a 'hardware' problem and it isn't.

P.S. my clock displays '8.0*' right now... I guess it's not lunch time, it's breakfast.. :-/

Last edited by pedora; 19th January 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:15 PM
Keith1 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
login as root
at the command prompt type chkconfig ntpd on.
then type reboot
Old 19th January 2010, 06:25 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera
You might also be able to avoid the reboot with

ntpdate pool.ntp.org

Then

service ntpd start
chkconfig ntpd on

Afraid I can't offer much more than that--I use fluxbox and the clock is fine. Is it possible that you have it set to UTC and you want it at localtime and vice versa.

Speaking as a relative newcomer to the forums, my impression is quite different than yours--while some problems may not be solved, the majority of questions here seem to be answered rather quickly.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:58 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'll try these, thanks.

I don't really like ranting but sometimes it is frustrating. I agree, some questions are answered really quickly, imho.

Maybe some topics aren't as interesting or it's not as crucial to get them fixed. I would suppose that maybe some *problems* aren't as common but I can't help but think a lot of people like having the time on their computer among other things. I am a bit disappointed that the usb topic is not more heavily discussed. I thought it is cool to be able to boot up live media at a much faster speed than CD or DVD.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM CST ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
You might also be able to avoid the reboot with

ntpdate pool.ntp.org

Then

service ntpd start
chkconfig ntpd on

Afraid I can't offer much more than that--I use fluxbox and the clock is fine. Is it possible that you have it set to UTC and you want it at localtime and vice versa.

Speaking as a relative newcomer to the forums, my impression is quite different than yours--while some problems may not be solved, the majority of questions here seem to be answered rather quickly.
I'm not sure which command but one of them gave me an error:

Code:
SELinux is preventing rpcbind (rpcbind_t) "setgid" rpcbind_t.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM CST ----------

The time was correct when I looged in as root but it didn't change when I logged back in as user. The time is still wrong.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:58 PM
scott32746 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Something you can also look at is your hardware clock.
# hwclock
Something could be syncing up with hardware clock and if it is wrong then it would make the clock on your desktop wrong.
Old 19th January 2010, 07:05 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott32746 View Post
Something you can also look at is your hardware clock.
# hwclock
Something could be syncing up with hardware clock and if it is wrong then it would make the clock on your desktop wrong.
Code:
# hwclock
bash: hwclock: command not found
Old 19th January 2010, 07:13 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxsafari
Hrrm, that's odd. Try /sbin/hwclock. Seems to be part of the util-linux package, at least in CentOS. If you don't have that package, install it.
Old 19th January 2010, 07:18 PM
pedora Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Hrrm, that's odd. Try /sbin/hwclock. Seems to be part of the util-linux package, at least in CentOS. If you don't have that package, install it.
It was my fault that I got the bash: command not found? I forgot the 'su -'

However, I still have a problem: this was my output:
Quote:
# hwclock
Tue 19 Jan 2010 09:15:22 AM EST -0.391155 seconds
My time is now 2:15pm or 14:15? But, the time on the desktop is '04:17' and hwclock gave 9:15AM.

I don't know what is going on but although I might be clueless here, there shouldn't be this much trouble with a clock and the time.