Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th January 2010, 03:46 AM
rosh_ravi Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Fedora 12 freezes within 2 minutes after logging in

Hi,

I have installed Fedora 12 on a brand new pc, quad core, 4 GB RAM. Within 1-2 minutes after I log in, the computer stops responding. I can move the mouse and click on, but it is too slow, and the cursor drags.

Running Top shows that Xorg takes 80% of the CPU.

Any help?
Old 13th January 2010, 05:13 PM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

macosfirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_ravi View Post
Hi,

I have installed Fedora 12 on a brand new pc, quad core, 4 GB RAM. Within 1-2 minutes after I log in, the computer stops responding. I can move the mouse and click on, but it is too slow, and the cursor drags.

Running Top shows that Xorg takes 80% of the CPU.

Any help?
Add the nomodeset parameter to the kernel and give it a shot (and perhaps the parameter noapic too).

In case you don't know how to do that just press the arrow keys after the BIOS shows up and you'll see a menu (GRUB). Select the line representing your Fedora system (usually the first one) and press e, then select the line containing kernel in the following menu (the second one I think) and press e again. The parameters have to be inserted at the end of the line you can now edit, afterward hit Enter and then b.

If this works you'll need to add it permanently, for that edit as root the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the parameters there.

Good luck,
Joe.
Old 13th January 2010, 10:30 PM
rosh_ravi Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hi Joe,

You are awesome! This has fixed my problem.

If you have some more time, can you briefly explain what exactly the nomode set do, and what functionality I am missingg?

Thanks a lot!

Rosh
Old 14th January 2010, 01:18 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_ravi View Post
Hi Joe,

You are awesome! This has fixed my problem.

If you have some more time, can you briefly explain what exactly the nomode set do, and what functionality I am missingg?

Thanks a lot!

Rosh
I am glad it solved your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecicapapa View Post
I guess this covers it up pretty well http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Nomodeset

I needed to use that back in Fedora 11 and what I realized was missing (aside from the hangs) was the pretty graphical boot (it became just a blue bar in a black screen).

Thanks,
Joe.
Old 15th January 2010, 05:48 AM
rosh_ravi Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks again, Joe.

Apparently it looks like the issue is not resolved completely. Fedora still crawls for 20-30 seconds at a frequent interval of 2-3 minutes. The cursor is responsive, but the applications freezes. The CPU percentage again soars during this period. After that 20-30 seconds everything goes back to normal.

I got this new computer to start my work, and all I am doing is troubleshooting my OS for the past two weeks

Tags
fedora, freezes, logging, minutes