Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th December 2009, 07:59 PM
cdawley4 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Device Map

Hi,

I installed Fedora 12 on my 160GB HD. I also have WinXP on my 80G drive. When I installed Fedora, I disconnected the 80G drive to prevent my WinXP drive from getting tampered with. Now, when I look at my device.map file, I don't see my 2nd hard drive listed there. How can I get update the device.map file to get my 2nd drive to display?

Code:
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0)     /dev/sda
The main reason I want the computer to dual boot is that my wife plays the Hidden Mystery type games on the Windows partition. I was wondering if I installed WINE, could I use that for her to play her Hidden Mystery games on it? I would love to do away completely with Windows.

Chris
Old 9th December 2009, 08:37 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Check your bios to see if it's detected there. Always a chance that the connections aren't quite snug.

And, since you've done it this way, you'll have to 'map' the drives to have grub recognize and boot the second drive (editing /boot/grub/grub.conf):

title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:25 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hello cdawley4,

bob's idea should be all you need to do. I only wanted to add that you don't need to be concerned about the device.map file. First, it looks fine the way it is. Second, it will not be involved in any way with your dual-booting plan. In fact, it's not involved with booting at all. You can boot just fine even without a device.map file. It is only read when GRUB is re-installed. It's sole purpose is to help GRUB re-install correctly by allowing human correction when GRUB guessed the device map incorrectly.

Tags
device, map