Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th November 2009, 06:19 PM
greg.harvey Offline

linuxsafari
Timezones totally screwed up

Hi all,

I started getting this error from PHP when calling the date() function:

Code:
PHP Fatal error:  date() [<a href='function.date'>function.date</a>]: Timezone database is corrupt - this should *never* happen!
Further investigation revealed the /usr/share/zoneinfo is missing regions. I can only see an Asia folder, no Europe, etc. (my timezone is CET, Europe/Paris). Worse still, if I try to do a timeconfig from the Linux command line it totally crashes and says:

Code:
No such file or directory: '/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab'
Yikes!

Anyone have any clue how to fix this? I've seen a few posts of lame "you can hack timezone info in to init.d for Apache/PHP to work" type fixes, but they don't address the issue that all the timezone data on the SYSTEM is screwed up and needs re-installing somehow. I don't know what packages would be required to be removed/replaced to fix this.

Tags
screwed, timezones, totally