FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Blu-ray working for Linux?

    I need a large capacity optical drive for backup/restore only. I started running mythTV and I am slowly filling my HDD storage with keeper media. Now, I would like to start offloading it all to something which will hold it without resorting to such as split/compression.

    I see that these Blu-ray drives can hold 25 and 50 GB of media. But, as I search Google for the words "linux Blu-ray" I haven't seen anything that says definitively, Linux can power this device.

    Are there drivers, archive tools, K3B, et.al. which can take care of this backup need??

    I do not take part in any media rental,viewing of any DRM, MPAA, RIAA stuff. My needs are solely for data storage and replay of public TV shows.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been done since 2006 so it should be possible to back data on BD via K3B or other burning application.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Memory: 128GB DDR4-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 9070XT 16GB Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe with Heatsink, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe and NAS WD 7200 RPM 4TB for backup - OS: Fedora 42 Design Suite x86-64 and Windows 11 64-bit
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 14 7445 2-in-1 - APU: AMD Ryzen 7 8840HS with Radeon 780M - Memory: 16GB DDR5-RAM - Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4TB NVMe - OS: Fedora 43 Design Suite x86-64

  3. #3
    Demz Guest
    does k3b support blueray? i didnt think it did

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nerolinux certainly does support udf 2.5 and 2.6 needed for hddvd/bluray burning, didn't think anything else did on linux....

    i still think the only way to backup today's growing media needs is to another hard disk(s) as even a 50gb bluray disc ain't gonna do much to that 1tb drive that's filling up fast!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    1,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K3B supports blu-ray in the upcoming 2.0 release (aimed at KDE 4.2), and also in the 1.6x alphas. Not in the versions in Fedora unfortunately. The underlying command line tools have supported blu-ray for quite a while, eg cdrecord since 2006.

    You've probably found this link from your google search, it seems to imply that k3b since v.10 (and nautilus cd burner) can use dvd+rw-tools for blu-ray burning, but I haven't got a blu-ray burner to test this in fedora.

  6. #6
    leigh123linux Guest

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sej7278: you are probably correct with respect to using a terabyte-sized HDD instead for backup.. I checked prices at several web-vendor sites and a 1TB drive can be found for $74, $79, $89 which is much cheaper than the prices for Blu-ray drives. I may look into assembling a cheap NAS appliance using some of these big HDDs.

    thx

Similar Threads

  1. Crossover linux not working in Fedora 8
    By gary1975 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th November 2007, 11:32 AM
  2. Yahoo messenger on Linux not working
    By tech291083 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th October 2007, 10:06 AM
  3. Linux Counter not working!!
    By Rupam Bezbarua in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th June 2007, 06:57 AM
  4. First linux FC4 disc not working
    By xXxz3r0xXx in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th April 2006, 12:13 AM
  5. New to LINUX and keen to get it working
    By palan01 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd September 2004, 03:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •