Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th September 2009, 03:46 AM
kajukenbo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
No Sound in Citrix with Fedora 11 or Rawhide

Hello all.

I've been installing Citrix clients in Linux for several years now and I know many of the tricks. However this one has me stumped.

No matter what combination of Clients (Linux 10, Linux Receiver 11 or even ica32.exe in WINE) or settings I've tried tweaking (such as "SpeedScreen Multimedia Acceleration"), no matter if it is a Web session (CAG) or Published application, I cannot get sound to play nor is a windows sound device created with a client running Fedora 11. The same hardware rebuilt with Centos 5.3 plays sound just fine. I seem to recall it working in Fedora 10 and 9 as well.

I can connect and open sessions without issue. The problem is that I do not have sound and this is needed to play back voice mail in the Citrix session.
FWIW, I suspect it has something to do with the Citrix client failing to recognize PulseAudio in Fedora 11.
I see the same behavior in Fedora 12 (Rawhide) as well.

Can anyone suggest what I might be missing?
Is anyone using Citrix via Fedora 11 to connect to a MS desktop, and if so, can you play a .wav file in the media player for instance? Do you have an audio device in the windows device manager for that session?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 29th September 2009, 05:30 AM
r todd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I just started using Citrix under Fedora 11 and am having this exact problem; I cannot play any .wav files from an Outlook session. If I move the wav file local to my laptop, it will play fine

T
Old 30th September 2009, 07:52 PM
kajukenbo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 524706

The solution came via Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 524706.

This is a CITRIX client problem.
As should be obvious since the client still uses obsolete Motif, it also uses the obsolete OSS /dev/dsp interfaces.
This was deprecated around *10* years ago and support for it was finally pulled in Fedora 11 and Rawhide (12).
No one on the Citrix forum even replied to my message. Sad.

Well, if this is not fixed then it will be broken in Redhat Enterprise Linux as well since it will probably be based on Fedora 11.

In the meantime you can un-comment the line in /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf to re-enable it, at the risk of hanging the sound system until you reboot.
Old 30th September 2009, 09:01 PM
r todd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for the help; that did it. Looks like I'm taking this up with my Citrix rep as well

T

Tags
citrix, fedora, rawhide, sound