Creating initial device nodes
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating initial device nodes

Hi all,

(originally posted in the General Help Forum)

I'm putting a server together and have run into a boot up problem. (I thought about putting this in the server forum, but it might be a more generic problem that others have seen and know how to rectify.) The install seems to have gone just fine. I have the /boot partition on an internal IDE drive. The rest of that drive and another are mirrored in a Raid0 configuration (using the Linux software to do that) for data storage. The swap partition is a part of the Raid5 SCSI array that also has the / (root) partition on it.

After installation it would not finish the booting process. I suspected that GRUB didn't like all the Raid arrays and such, but it seems to be fine. I can say that because the machine will boot into rescue mode with the GUI splash screen and I have access to the whole directory tree.

I have already searched on-line and following prudent advice, ran the yum update while in the chroot /mnt/sysimage mode. That only took overnight to download and most of this morning to complete. Still no dice. Used vim to delete the rhgb quiet commands in the grub.conf file so I could see where the kernel seems to be hanging.

So right after the "Creating initial device nodes" is a line about my generic PS2 wheel mouse. So I tried a USB mouse. Got more output so tried swapping out to a USB keyboard. Got a little further with more information about input devices, but still stops. Also, I tried a PCI video card just to make sure the onboard video wasn't the problem - no change.

So, if someone in the Fedora community knows what loads up or is configured right after the mouse and keyboard, I might be able to figure out what's causing the computer to hang during the boot process. Or if there is something else I need to do, please let me know.

Thanx for listening,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest you try rebuilding your initrd image. Use mkinitrd to do that.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread Closed. Please read the Forum Guidelines on Cross-Posting (double-posting) http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=229906

If you are still having problems, go back to the original thread and post additional information that YOU have tried.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.