Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2009, 07:02 PM
troyatlarge Offline

Fedora 11 odd update behaviour

I am have home network of two computers, a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is old and does not run compiz fusion on it, the laptop does.

Whenever I update the laptop, using the yum in the terminal, in middle of the process the terminal window moves up to the left hand corner of the screen placing its top section underneath the upper task bar – the only way then to exit is to type “exit” for the very top of the terminal window is out of view. Furthermore, it then opens any new terminal windows in the same location.

In addition to that, I can not switch to different desktops as that feature becomes frozen at the same time. All of this clears up if I log off and then log back on, until the next time I do an update. It is not some huge deal to me, but thought I would bring attention to it. Oh - it does not happen to the desktop, but only the laptop.

Second, the desktop, durring updating, left a message I had not seen before – it said:

“warning: /etc/cups/cupsd.conf created as /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew”

while in the update process. Is this something I need to be concerned with? I have noticed the computer now takes longer to start up in the morning, acting more like Fedora 10 than Fedora 11, ever sense yesterdays update - but only on the desktop.
Old 24th July 2009, 07:44 PM
gslams Offline

I have seen this behaviour on my computer as well, I do not have a solution but have a workaround. Try reloading your Windows manager in this case compiz. I run compiz using the fusion-icon and it shows up as part of the system tray and when you reload it, the next time the terminal will be in the centre.

If you are using desktop-effects instead of fusion-icon I recommend that you download and launch fusion-icon for compiz as it behaves better.
Old 24th July 2009, 08:53 PM
William Haller Online

For the yum update warning ---

Anytime a package is updated that provides an updated configuration file, the package manager must decide on one of five options during the install.

1) Overwrite the user's configuration with the new one (bad)
2) Don't make any changes or provide a new configuration example - let the user read the documentation (bad)
3) Attempt to correct the existing configuration automatically (good but hard)
4) If possible, continue to use the existing configuration but provide the standard default as an example... This ends up in .rpmnew files
5) Save the old configuration and restart with the default configuration for the new package version... This ends up with .rpmsave (or on some systems .rpmold) files

4 or 5 are the most usual methods. In either case, you must resolve the differences between what you had and what is now the new standard. If it put its own file in in place of yours, then you need to make your changes from the .rpmsave or .rpmold file in the current file. If it left yours in place, you need to see what was added or changed in the .rpmnew and make any appropriate changes in your old configuration.

Services may not work correctly until this is done. it is common to have many such files during a fedora upgrade which is why many people always do a fresh install. I don't happen to be one of them, but it is sometimes easier for some folks to just start from scratch than deal with the clutter.

Tags
behaviour, fedora, odd, update