Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 18th December 2008, 10:04 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

F10: New Info - the new 2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686-drm.ko IS REQUIRED - the existing one will cause failure (reverts to software rasterizer) - please wait until I force an upload to 4shared.com....

Well, poo. For some unknown reason, the new drm.ko won't upload to 4shared.com, so for now, get it here: http://www.geocities.com/hlingler/RP...10.i686-drm.ko

Don't forget the new kmod locations:
/lib/modules/<uname -r>/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko and /lib/modules/<uname -r>/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/mach64/mach64.ko

The folder /lib/modules/<uname -r>/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/mach64/ must be created.

Don't forget to run a depmod -a against the kernel.

Everything looks copacetic and works here. Any problems: post here, send me a PM, or otherwise contact me. Feedback appreciated.

V

EDIT: I will make every effort to place the RPMs in the AJRepo for maximum availability and increased ease/automatic updates (as long as you install the AJRepo and enable auto-updates), and to package the kmods in an RPM(s) as well, if possible (but the drm.ko replaces an existing kernel module, so it will always be a manual download-and-install).

Last edited by Hlingler; 19th December 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 19th December 2008, 09:16 AM
shaiay Offline

Thanks for the hard work!

I just came upon your rpm's and installed them today on F10.
my card (output of lspci):
Code:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M (rev 64)
I only installed the kernel modules and the following rpm's:
Code:
rpm -Uhv libdrm-2.4.1-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm  xorg-x11-drv-mach64-6.8.0-2.git20080624.fc9.micron.i386.rpm
I couldn't install any of the mesa stuff since I have a lot of devel rpms installed (yes it is possible to do development on a pentium III with 256MB RAM!) and they all depend on mesa-libGL-devel which you do not provide.
glxinfo output:
Code:
$> glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
So I have DRI working but not OpenGL (as expected). Even like this my glxgears FPS doubled from ~30 to ~60. My screen redraws in normal (not OpenGL) apps are noticeably faster and I'm happy.

So, thanks again for your work. If it is not very hard to produce -devel rpms for mesa-libGL I would be happy if you provide them. But if it's not trivial - forget it - I'm already very happy.

Thanks,
Shai
Old 19th December 2008, 01:28 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Hello shaiay:

And welcome to Fedora Forums.

The good news is that your chipset is supported by the Mach64 driver (as far as I can see). The bad news is that your partial install of the required software has NOT worked - "Software Rasterizer" is not 3D/DRI acceleration (as stated in my previous post above), and certainly is not the Mach64 driver at work: in fact, without my mesa-dri-drivers package, you do not even have the 3D/DRI Mach64 driver! It was dropped (apparently due to apathy) from the "official" 3D driver package recently. The xorg-x11-drv-mach64 is the 2D driver. As a general guide, I would expect glxgears framerate to be ~150-200 FPS with a working Mach64 3D/DRI driver (see Post #1).

However, the extra good news is that the various *-devel packages are in fact built and available - they are required for the kernel module (kmod) builds, so I have them all, and will upload them shortly. One word of caution: in F10, the libdrm-devel files have been moved to the kernel-headers package in official builds, so my libdrm-devel package must be force-installed to over-write the (older) files owned by kernel-headers. This will cause no problems that I know about.

Please allow me about an hour to upload all of the files to the 4shared web site. I will post the hyperlinks here, or you can always visit my main 4shared page to find whatever you need.

Once again, remember: the libdrm-devel package must be installed first with: rpm -Uvh --force libdrm-devel-2.4.1-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm. Also: my mesa-dri-drivers package is required to obtain the actual Mach64 3D/DRI driver, as well as BOTH the drm.ko (replaces existing) and mach64.ko kmods.

NOTE also that the "fc9" tags are irrelevant - these packages work perfectly fine on F10 (for me).

V

EDIT: Development packages (ALL are REQUIRED):
libdrm-devel-2.4.1-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm
mesa-libGL-devel-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm

Additional packages (update all IF existing):
mesa-libGLU-devel-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm
mesa-libGLw-devel-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm
freeglut-devel-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm

Last edited by Hlingler; 19th December 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:30 AM
shaiay Offline

Thanks again.

I updated:
Code:
mesa-dri-drivers-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm 
mesa-libGL-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm
and now I have:
Code:
$> glxinfo | grep render
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mach64 [Rage Pro] 20051019 x86/MMX/SSE
and glxgears gives me 284 FPS, so I think all is working now.
Just to sum up everything I've done to make it work:

How to make it work:
  1. install the 2 kernel modules
  2. update with rpm -Uhv the following packages:
    Code:
    libdrm-2.4.1-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm  
    xorg-x11-drv-mach64-6.8.0-2.git20080624.fc9.micron.i386.rpm 
    mesa-dri-drivers-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm 
    mesa-libGL-7.2-1.fc9.micron.i386.rpm
  3. made sure the following was in my xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Module"
            Load  "glx"
            Load  "dri"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
    EndSection

thanks again for these modules,
Shai
Old 20th December 2008, 07:43 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaiay
Code:
$> glxinfo | grep render
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mach64 [Rage Pro] 20051019 x86/MMX/SSE
and glxgears gives me 284 FPS, so I think all is working now.

Enjoy!
V
Old 20th December 2008, 08:24 AM
hephasteus Offline

What no Paradise Super VGA support? You all hate us old people with AT buses. You all with your RagePro's and your Savage 4's and your GeForces and your violent hack and slash dungeons and dragons games. You'll all grow up to be nogood linux bums with your crazy talk about true leadership and community support.

Shakes old man finger at ya.
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:43 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

YAY! WOHOO!

Mach64 3D video driver and kmods are ready for F11. These are finally done right (or as close as will ever be possible): re-built RPMs of the "official" stock Fedora packages, that have simply been altered/edited to include the missing (GRRRRRRRRRR!!!) 3D driver. These changes have made it possible to limit the the scope of changes to 2-3 core packages, plus kmods. SRPMs will be made available for re-build for other architectures, if desired, and if requested. The kmods are (and always will be) cutomized builds, because there's no way I'm going to re-build every new kernel just to get the mach64.ko kmod.

Two caveats:
  • First, I have at present no F11 OSs on which to test this software (2009-07-22: tested and working, see next post);
  • The required, re-built drm.ko will probably not work with any other video driver(s) than those included in my "fixed" mesa-dri-drivers RPM, so if later you switch graphics cards/chipsets, beware!

Anyone want to test this stuff before I get an F11 install on the right machine(s) ?

REQUIRED: (see Post #5 for additional kmods, RPMs & updates)
For kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586:For kernel-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586:For kernel-2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i586:libdrm-2.4.6-7.1.fc11.ajr.i586.rpm
mesa-libGL-7.6-0.1.1.fc11.ajr.i586.rpm
mesa-dri-drivers-7.6-0.1.1.fc11.ajr.i586.rpm

OPTIONAL (update if already installed):
mesa-libGLU-7.6-0.1.1.fc11.ajr.i586.rpm

Other optional Mesa library packages (mesa-lib*, glx-utils, *-devel, *-debuginfo) and SRPMs available upon express request.

V

Last edited by Hlingler; 8th August 2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Addditional info.
Old 23rd July 2009, 04:59 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I have now tested the F11 software on a machine with the target hardware (ATI Rage Pro video chipset), and am pleased to report that it works flawlessly.

However... it appears that there may be no other persons on the planet interested in using it. If no one else downloads the software within the next 30 days, then I'll just cancel this project, and anyone interested after that can contact me privately, and I'll arrange for the software to be available.

V

EDIT: Since it now appears that at least one other poor soul on the planet has shown interest and downloaded the F11 stuff, I'll continue to post public updates, so long as any such interest remains (and the software cooperates, and I am able).

Last edited by Hlingler; 10th August 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:21 AM
Aditza Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thumbs up

i just registered to say thanks
i upgraded yesteday from F10 to F11 using the yum method and i found out that my video card wasn't working anymore in F11 (and neither nat filtering using drop targets.. .. I had to redesign my entire firewall script ). Seems that support for mach64 was dropped in F11 kernels ... i searched rpmfusion for these drivers...no luck there. the fglrx ones support newer ati cards only.

your driver works fine, but i had to use the 'nopat' kernel option as i was getting the message
Code:
kernel: [drm:mach64_do_dma_init] *ERROR* can not ioremap virtual address for descriptor ring
when trying to load it without that. After adding 'nopat' to the kernel boot arguments and rebooting, the driver works great.

i'm using it on an old pc that's used as a router/firewall for a small 15-computer network and in addition is also a tv viewer

short system specs:
- AMD Duron 700MHz
- 256mb ram, 80GB hdd
- 2 realtek NICs
- video board: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
- TV Tuner Miro Video PCTV, card=1 in the bttv supported cards database http://tldp.org/HOWTO/BTTV/cards.html, i.e. the very first one, and still works great for tv viewing, i have crystal clear images

edit:
P.S. i only use the drm.ko and mach64.ko modules, i kept the standard mesa-dri-drivers and mesa-libGL packages from F11, and they work so far without any issues.

Last edited by Aditza; 13th August 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 13th August 2009, 06:05 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Quote:
i only use the drm.ko and mach64.ko modules, i kept the standard mesa-dri-drivers and mesa-libGL packages from F11, and they work so far without any issues.
Then I can assure you that the kmods are useless, since the 3D driver is simply absent from the "stock" mesa-dri-drivers RPM. But if you get a working X11/GUI when you didn't before, that's a good thing. Probably the 'nopat' kernel parameter is the only necessary parameter. In which case: you need none of the software here. But if you want to try the 3D driver, feel free - just be aware that you may lose some screen resolution(s), depending on your available VRAM.

Good Luck, and Thanks for the feedback,
V
Old 13th August 2009, 07:59 PM
Aditza Offline

unknownunknown
Wink

i do not think that the kernel modules are useless... the Fedora 11 kernel doesn't have any mach64.ko module compiled at all even if the -devel package provides a mach64.h header file and i couldn't even start a raw X server because it kept complaining: FATAL: module mach64 not found...

The xorg-x11-drv-mach64-6.8.0-3.fc11.i586.rpm was already installed and X was still complaining so the only solution i could think of was to provide it with a kernel module since it kept asking for one, and that was enough to get it working.

Also.. on that machine i use the X server without a window manager, i only start an xterm directly from xinit for basic tasks and for launching tvtime from it, for viewing the television . All the proper work on that machine is done either in text mode or via ssh from the desk across the room, so 3D acceleration is not really needed. As i said... that machine is basically a router/firewall/television set, all-in-one

I'll try tomorrow to see exactly if the kmods are really needed or not or if the nopat parameter would have been enough. i'll edit this post with the news.

EDIT:
you were right, the kmods are not really needed for what i am doing, and neither is the nopat option (nopat was only needed for loading your custom kmods, to avoid that error message).

i was misled by the FATAL:.... error message that X was throwing up.
seems they redefined the meaning of "fatal"... their interpretation is not so end-of-the-world anymore, and can be ignored sometimes.

For testing the X configuration, i am starting a raw X server from a ssh session (and ending it with ctrl-c) to see in that console any error messages it might throw.

All i am getting now on fedora 11 on the main display when starting X is a black screen and those error messages in the ssh console, not even an X mouse cursor in the middle of the screen to see that X is working, like F10's xorg was doing... WTF... who designed the new behaviour? it's so confusing... at least they could have made the default X background a bit blue, not pitch black as now.

The black screen made me think that the display/video board went into sleep mode as it couldn't be initialized, as this is the usual behavior i'm used with for mismatched drivers/configuration.

anyway, in the end it turns out my setup works with the default F11-provided files (except for the 3D accel part, which i don't really need).

for reference, here's how the X output looks like:

Code:
X.Org X Server 1.6.1.901 (1.6.2 RC 1)
Release Date: 2009-5-8
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5 i686
Current Operating System: Linux tvrouter 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 #1 SMP Wed Jul 29 15:46:46 EDT 2009 i686
Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=rootpart vga=ext nousb
Build Date: 18 May 2009  02:47:59PM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.6.1.901-1.fc11
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Aug 14 11:45:58 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
FATAL: Module mach64 not found.
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) MACH64(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed
the output to the ssh console stops after "DRIScreenInit Failed", at which point i assumed X to be stalled, since it only shows a pitch black display.

and the Xorg.0.log file for when starting with the minimal xterm is attached (it's too big to post directly here). There's also a file with the output of glxinfo.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg_log.txt (15.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: txt glxinfo.txt (18.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Aditza; 14th August 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 14th August 2009, 06:01 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Quote:
anyway, in the end it turns out my setup works with the default F11-provided files (except for the 3D accel part, which i don't really need).
So: is everything working satisfactorily now, or is there any remining problem(s) ?

V
Old 14th August 2009, 06:46 PM
Aditza Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
yes, everything is working satisfactorily, it was the change in behavior from F10 to F11 for running a raw X server that made me think it wasn't working. (i.e. pitch black display without any mouse cursor or anything visible on screen, practically as if the display was in sleep mode)
Old 29th August 2009, 01:13 AM
Frank Castle Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and new to fedora.

I have been searching like a nomad for drivers that would enable 3d hardware acceleration for compiz and other goodies. I have read through some of the posts but I don't see a rpm for my kernel.
2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.i686.PAE

My hardware is the following:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64).

Do I have any chance at all to get this thing working?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 29th August 2009, 01:24 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
I have not yet built the kmods for that kernel (when was it released? I checked/updated my F11 last night). And the kmods are not supplied as RPMs, they're supplied as kmods (*.ko). But save your efforts: as pointed out on Post #1: these chipsets are simply not capable of running Compiz-Fusion - they lack support for non-power-of-two rendering: they simply can't do the math. But, again as pointed out in prior posts, you can get basic desktop effects with assist from xcompmgr. Both GNOME and KDE built-in desktop effects are now also beyond our chipsets' capabilities. Sad, but true.

I'll build kmods for new kernels as soon as I get them, plus given a little time to compile.

V

Tags
ati, direct rendering, dri, driver, fedora, graphics, mach64, rage pro, video