Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2009, 08:24 PM
sigzero Offline

F11 : Running commands wierdness

If I am in my home directory and I run "ls" I get the ls output in the console. If I am in my home directory and I run "ls -AF" or "ls -anySwitchAtAll" it hangs. If I do that same as root in my home directory I get the same problems. If I navigate away from my home directory all commands work as normal. This scenario plays out with all home directories created before the upgrade from F10 -> F11.

Now, if I create a new user...all commands work right off the bat.

If I launch Nautilus to look at my home directory...it shows nothing (no files, no folders, nothing).

I also noticed that in my rhicks home I see:

-rw-r--r--. 1 robert robert 658 2009-03-02 12:20 .zshrc

^ what is that strang dot???

Doing the same in the new user account I show the same list without that trailing dot. I see that trailing dot all over the place. Did some bit not get switched? How to fix?
Old 17th June 2009, 03:33 PM
die-nmi! Offline

Unhappy same here (ls -a blocked, dolping and nautilus empty)

Hi - exactly the same what I experience since today.

System: Fedora 11, 64BitAMD, SE Linux disabled just in case, Same on KDE4 and Gnome

Yesterday night I've installed three games (sometimes things just happen) - Ufo-AI, Itris and SMC.
Played SMC a bit, UFO and ltris not even started yet. I am not sure if this is related - but those games draw some 32bit libs into the system.

Today I have this problem: in ~ I can't ls -a (also ls -A).
It just waits for ever.
I can't see the files of ~ with dolphin (primary using KDE4), it's showing 0 files
I can't see the files of ~with natilus (also within Gnome). -- it just does not stop the "busy" mousearrow
Krusader stops working when going into ~-
ls (without arguments) works.

Files in subdirs of ~ are visible with dolphin, nautilus, and krusader - if you jump there directly. Also ls -a works.

Any other dir seems to work only the root of ~/ is vanishing.

Wild: If I create a new user - with a complete fresh homedir - the same happens.
Wilder: If I use tty (the textconsoles) *before* I first log into the KDE or GNOME, I can do ls -la (kdm already running). I can't do ls -la from tty when I am logged into KDE or GNOME.

HELP HELP HELP!

Greets,
Herr Irrtum

PS: No strange things reported in logs. That is because there is never an error. Only non responding apps.
Old 17th June 2009, 07:07 PM
die-nmi! Offline

filed bug

Hey there,
I think this is way to heavy just to let it sink to the ground of the forums. No one reads this anyway (uh - err... do you?! ) . So I filed a bug. Here.
<https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=506539>
Just because it's not clear what is causing this, should not stop one to report it where it counts
Regards,
Herr Irrtum

Tags
f11