Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2009, 04:56 PM
Tsukasa Offline

How to make use of JUST external monitor (F10)?

Hello,

I want my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L300-14X) and external monitor. Intel video from package xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-3.fc9.i386 is being used. I have Fedora 10. I want to work with it using just external monitor as an output device. I manage to get dual head config but I do not like that my mouse can escape to another screen (I located laptop's screen to be below main screen). So how I can configure to use ONLY external monitor?
Old 24th May 2009, 07:07 PM
mas1974 Offline

I don't have an answer for you, sorry to say, but I'm trying to find an answer to the same question. I have a Lenovo X61 Tablet and just installed Fedora 10.

Anyone: is there a way to get automatic switching between the external monitor and the laptop monitor? Or even if I could just have the laptop monitor disabled when I boot up connected to the external monitor that would be good too.
Old 24th May 2009, 10:40 PM
marko Online

Most laptops have a Function key that rotates the display three ways:

laptop display only
laptop + external
external only

Have you tried that?
Old 25th May 2009, 07:21 PM
mas1974 Offline

Thanks, Mark -- I just found out about that last night. That is, I found out it works in Linux; I knew my laptop had that feature, but I didn't realize that modern Linux distros enabled it, so I hadn't thought about it until I happened to read that it was possible. But yes, pressing Fn-F7 on my laptop does exactly what it should without any configuration.

I last used linux extensively about six years ago; I'm discovering that a lot of things have changed since then!
Old 25th May 2009, 07:52 PM
marko Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas1974 View Post
Thanks, Mark -- I just found out about that last night. That is, I found out it works in Linux; I knew my laptop had that feature, but I didn't realize that modern Linux distros enabled it, so I hadn't thought about it until I happened to read that it was possible. But yes, pressing Fn-F7 on my laptop does exactly what it should without any configuration.

I last used linux extensively about six years ago; I'm discovering that a lot of things have changed since then!
It depends a lot on luck, some laptops have non-working function keys and some fully work.
The different companies do their own thing and there's no standards. So someone has to
experiment on the keys, figure out what happens with each and put the hooks into Linux.
What's worse is there are even variations within the same brand, like Sony Vaio X might
use a different key code for the function key to dim the display than the Sony Vaio Y.
Old 25th May 2009, 08:44 PM
robert-e Offline

In F10 (Gnome) ATI vid., I do this with System-Preferences-Hardward-Screen Resolution. Initially, the second screen is hidden behind the "in front" screen. Use the mouse to pull the in front screen to the side, and then you can select one, and in the drop down menu, turn the unwanted screen off. The only time I see the (bad) laptop screen is on bootup, and it disappears quickly. This with a Toshiba Sat. P100, which had about 50 and growing vertical colored lines on it.
I leave the laptop screen off as much as possible to keep more lines from appearing.
Regards,
Bob

Tags
external, f10, make, monitor