Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th May 2009, 04:13 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

I'd post it under component nfs-utils and quote the man page as saying spaces in export names can be quoted (when they can't)
Old 21st May 2009, 10:20 AM
greg.harvey Offline

Ok, cool - maybe I'll try it one more time before submitting, just to confirm spaces *definitely* don't work. I want to be 100% sure I wasn't being a dunce at the time. ;-)
Old 21st May 2009, 04:17 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

I checked, spaces don't work, not even in F11, so you can file it under rawhide (the development branch). Your original message obscured the problem since
Quote:
Starting NFS services: exportfs: Warning: /media/FreeAgent Drive does not support NFS export.
looks like the error message is "Drive does not support NFS export" for the mount point /media/FreeAgent", rather than "FreeAgent Drive" does not support NFS export.

I suppose you could add that the error message could be more helpful, why doesn't it support NFS export?
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:34 AM
greg.harvey Offline

Bug report filed: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=502155

Off topic, while I was at it filed another one...
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=502148

Been busy! =)
Old 16th May 2010, 10:26 PM
greg.harvey Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: NFS export an NTFS removable drive

So, new computer, Fedora 12 now, and I'm here again!

Followed the directions from last time, on the new machine hosting the USB drive this works just fine:

Code:
$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent /media/tmp
$ ls -l /media/tmp
So the export is working, NFS is fine. For now iptables is disabled, to remove it from the equation. So, over to another client machine:

Code:
$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent /media/freeagent
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent

So:

Code:
$ sudo mount -t ntfs 192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent /media/freeagent
ntfs-3g: failed to access volume '192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent' No such file or directory
I think the first command is correct - it worked in the past and works locally - but I have no idea why it's giving that ugly error on the other computers. Any suggestions anyone?
Old 20th May 2010, 03:01 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

+1 fror sideways
brian1 and sej7278 are wrong, spreading misinormation

I just mounted a vfat, exported it by NFS and mounted it, accessed it with zero problems.
Quote:
[root@hypoxylon Desktop]# mount
/dev/loop0 on /tmp/mp type vfat (rw)
127.0.0.1:/tmp/mp on /tmp/mp2 type nfs (rw,addr=127.0.0.1)
[root@hypoxylon Desktop]# exportfs
/tmp/mp <world>
[root@hypoxylon Desktop]# ls -l /tmp/mp2
total 16
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-05-19 20:24 brian1_is_a_liar
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6 2010-05-19 20:18 other
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6 2010-05-19 20:18 somegroup
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6 2010-05-19 20:18 steve
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 2010-05-19 20:16 t~
It also works perfectly as an ntfs mounted and exported as NFS. The mounts were:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/loop0 /tmp/mp
mount -t nfs server:/tmp/mp /tmp/mp2

Quote:
[root@hypoxylon mp]# ls -l /tmp/mp2
/dev/loop0 on /tmp/mp type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)
127.0.0.1:/tmp/mp on /tmp/mp2 type nfs (rw,addr=127.0.0.1)
[root@hypoxylon Desktop]# ls -l /tmp/mp2
total 1
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2010-05-19 20:33 post2_is_WRONG

As for spaces in the mountpoint directory name .....

A/ This has absolutely nothing to do with VFAT or NTFS.
B/ the exportfs source code (nfs-utils-1.2.1-5.fc12.src.rpm) has some provision to handle quoting of special characters BUT some of the lower level routines can't handle a path with spaces. The test_export() routine in utils/exportfs/exportfs.c upchucks with spaces and produces the "XXXXX does not support NFS export." message. The config file parser unquotes the name, but test_export requires the quoted name.

It's a real bug - so it's ggod that you reported it BUT the easy solution is to replace ' ' spaces with '_' underbar n your share directory name ... at least till the problem is fixed.

=======
BTW this is basically what test_exports() does ...
Quote:
[root@hypoxylon Desktop]# echo "-test-client- /tmp/odd\040name 3 1 -1 -1 0" > /proc/net/rpc/nfsd.export/channel
[root@hypoxylon Desktop]# echo "-test-client- /tmp/odd name 3 1 -1 -1 0" > /proc/net/rpc/nfsd.export/channel
bash: echo: write error: No such file or directory
The first quoted file works as expected, the one with the unquoted space fails.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM CDT ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.harvey View Post
So, new computer, Fedora 12 now, and I'm here again!

Code:
$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent /media/freeagent
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.155:/media/freeagent

I think the first command is correct - it worked in the past and works locally - but I have no idea why it's giving that ugly error on the other computers. Any suggestions anyone?
The command above is correct. The message generally means you don't have nfs-utils installed in the client. For Fedora that "yum -y install nfs-utils". Other distros use different package manager commands.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:25 PM
greg.harvey Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
The command above is correct. The message generally means you don't have nfs-utils installed in the client. For Fedora that "yum -y install nfs-utils". Other distros use different package manager commands.
Awesome, thanks! You're dead right. Didn't realise nfs-utils was not installed on the client. Nice misleading error message.
Old 20th May 2010, 06:07 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.harvey View Post
Awesome, thanks! You're dead right. Didn't realise nfs-utils was not installed on the client. Nice misleading error message.
Just as background .... some of the generic file system tools like mkfs, fsck and mount are just "shells" (I don't mean scripts) that call the file-system specific programs. This has been true since the timeval was very small (early Unix history). So mkfs calls the mkfs.ntfs program for example based in the "-t xxx' option.

If this was being re-implemented today these commands would probably have binary plugins for each flavor of file system, but it's a well embedded historical architecture.

So yes a message "no plugin for nfs' would be a whole lot clearer, but it's a legacy thing.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:47 AM
smallbook Offline

windows_7firefox

Hi there,

I know this is considered a close case but by chance, after exporting and mounting the NTFS drive via NFS, do you guys encounter any problems? For my case, if in the NFS server I mount 2 NTFS usb drives and export them via NFS, on the client side if I mount the 2 NFS exports, they appear as only 1 drive. That means, if NTFS drive 1 contains content of aaa and NTFS drive 2 contains content of bbb, when I mount these 2 separately on 2 different mount points on the client, the 2mountpoints show either aaa or bbb, they've kinda merged. If one is a NTFS and the other is an ext3 or 4, there's no such problem.

Also, when I attempt to copy a huge file, say 10GB or more, the NFS becomes stale and the cp process will die. I have to restart the nfs client.

Anyone encountered similar problems?

Tags
drive, export, nfs, ntfs, removable