I filed a bug on this yesterday but I'd like to toss it out here as well:
I loaded Fedora 10 on a new mobo (Gigabyte MA78M-US2H) that has a
Radeon 3200 on-board graphics chip. I tried two different monitors (1440x900
and 1280x1024, both LCD). I tried radeon, radeonhd, vesa, ati and fglrx.
I installed "system-config-display" and tried it many times. I hand edited
my xorg.conf file. I have deleted my xorg.conf file. I edited my grub config
files to add nomodeset. I borrowed a gForce 6800 card and tried again with that.
Nothing I've done has resulted in a system that has the "correct" resolution for
either monitor. Many things I have tried resulted in the monitor reporting that
something was out of range. The Radeon chip basically *never* gave a working
display for the console (Ctl-Alt-F1). The gForce card seems to think there are
several lines below the end of the screen on the console display.
I've done so much hacking that I honestly can't claim to know what the system
is or is not so tomorrow I start the re-load process. I wish I could claim I was a
clueless newbie but I've been running Linux since Red Hat 6.2 and I've never yet
had this much trouble with a simple install.
Suggestions on what to try next are welcome. Suggestions on what Phenom II
mobo to buy next or what low budget (and quiet) graphics card is known to work
with Fedora 10 would also be welcome.