Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th February 2009, 08:51 PM
itix Offline

Help restoring grub (thx to idiot brother)

Yeah... Hi.

I'm not very good at restoring the grub so I thought I'd ask you guys (and girls of course).

My brother was having a presentation in school about ubuntu and asked if he could install Ubuntu on a USBstick and borrow my laptop to school. I said "God no, that will overwrte my gub at MBR" and he replied "Too late, already done".

The grub is now on his friggin' usb stick and it's a bit irritating that I need his USB-stick to boot. How do I restore the fedora grub to MBR? (No, I don't have super grub disc because the same brother has malplaced my super grub disc)
Old 6th February 2009, 08:52 PM
brunson Offline

Get Super Grub Disk, it's genius.
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy
Old 6th February 2009, 09:03 PM
itix Offline

You obviously did not read. My super grub disc is gone thanx to the same dumb (but still loved) brother. I had one, but it's probably somewhere in his room which one of my other brothers suggested that he should label "City Dump"
Old 6th February 2009, 09:10 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itix View Post
The grub is now on his friggin' usb stick and it's a bit irritating that I need his USB-stick to boot. How do I restore the fedora grub to MBR? (No, I don't have super grub disc because the same brother has malplaced my super grub disc)
well, boot with his USB stick, open a new terminal and type:
Code:
su -
grub-install /dev/sda
replaceme with your disk name.

bye!!!!!!!!
Old 6th February 2009, 09:22 PM
brunson Offline

You're right, I missed it at the end of your message. Nice attitude, fix it yourself next time.

By the way, installing grub on a USB shouldn't have done anything to the grub on your disk. You obviously don't understand how grub works or what all your brother has done.
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy

Last edited by brunson; 6th February 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:33 PM
itix Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson View Post
You're right, I missed it at the end of your message. Nice attitude, fix it yourself next time.

By the way, installing grub on a USB shouldn't have done anything to the grub on your disk. You obviously don't understand how grub works or what all your brother has done.
Well, I'm sorry if I seamed rude. It was not my intention.
..and yeah, it didn't do anything to the GRUB that is on my disk, but it still links MBR to a grub that is on a USB stick. Fedoras grub is unaffected, but MBR (Main boot record or something) can't find grub since it is on hd(1,0) which is not inserted since it's my brothers USB stick

@ Bee, thanx. I did just that and it seamed to work pretty well. I'll try to reboot without the bloody usb-stick now.

Last edited by itix; 6th February 2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typos, missed senteces, bad senteces... pretty much everything (I'm tired)
Old 6th February 2009, 09:35 PM
brunson Offline

Well, if you didn't mean to be rude, then I guess I should apologize for reacting the way I did. Let us know how it goes, we should be able to help you through it if bee's hint didn't work. (Though it should).
Quote:

Last edited by brunson; 6th February 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:49 PM
itix Offline

It worked, thanx. Does fedora forums have a thanx-system like ubuntu forums does?? I can't find any thanx buttons so I suppose not.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:57 PM
bee Offline
Banned

i dunno what that thanx-system is it
but... You're welcome!!!!!!!!!!

bye!!!!!!!
Old 6th February 2009, 10:07 PM
itix Offline

Ubutnu forums has a "thank user" buton. You can collect thanx-es from users you help and it is good karma (or good manners) to thank those that helped you.

I have somewhere around 30 thanx-es and I have thanked around 30 ppl during my 1,5 years with ubuntu (I still run ubuntu on my Eee, but I was a bit curious about fedora so the acer now run fedora).

I guess I just say thanx instead of clicking a button =)

Thanx to both of you.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:11 PM
bee Offline
Banned

ahhh!! i get it!!!
no, on this forum we don't have that karma/thanks button

Well!! again, you're welcome!! just ask your next question (when you'll have it)!!!

bye!!!!!!!

Tags
brother, grub, idiot, restoring, thx