Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th January 2009, 05:16 PM
MiLev Offline

Question Problems with partition tables in Fedora 9

When i tried to install Fedora 9 on my notebook, Samsung R58+, It said me that there's damaged partition tables and suggested to initialise it with losing all data. But I'm not interested in this! Windows XP sp3 and Fedora 10 doesn't mind it. What's wrong?
P.S. I'm trying to install Fedora 9 because in my private opinion it's better and I like it more etc.
Old 19th January 2009, 08:45 PM
stoat Offline

Hello MiLev,

Actually, that message says that the partition table is "unreadable", not "damaged". It happens fairly often, too. And you're right...don't agree to initializing the drive unless you want to re-install everything. Try the following idea from the Fedora 7 Common Bugs. It may be the same issue (Host Protected Area). It shouldn't hurt to try anyway. It's only a kernel boot parameter. But no promises.
Partition table claimed to be invalid on previously working drive
A Google search of this forum in particular (partition+table+unreadable+initialized site:fedoraforum.org) and the Internet in general revealed a variety of other things people think are causes and cures.

Tags
fedora, partition, problems, tables