Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th December 2008, 11:25 PM
mailman1175 Offline

possible to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf from live cd?

All right, I installed the XFCE spin of F10 on my Acer Aspire One. Let it auto-update (which takes hours w/ my slow internet connection), and started tweaking it per The road to Elysium.

The first time, I followed all his instructions. The directions on converting to ext2 led to some unexpected error messages, but I trudged on, top to bottom, rebooting only when done. Results?
Code:
Error 11: Unrecognized device string

Press any key to continue...
... which I do, and it sends me to a grub screen, at which point I have no idea what to do.

Grr. Oh, well, I figure, maybe that has something to do with trying to convert a mounted filesystem to ext2... [As an aside: This is probably what happens when you give someone just enough knowledge to be dangerous! ] So, I re-install the live OS, install to hard drive, go through the 10 hour process of updating again, reboot, SKIP the ext2 conversion steps, update to madwifi, reboot, then go through his section on "Optimizing Fedora 10". Results? You guessed it:
Code:
Error 11: Unrecognized device string
So now the question is: Can I fix this from the grub menu? or do I have to re-install again?

I found someone else who'd had a similar problem, and they said they fixed it from the live cd, but didn't say how... I've tried the obvious -- (as root)
Code:
nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
, but that gives me a file-not-found type of deal. Any help?

Tags
edit, live