Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2008, 04:02 PM
forum.query Offline

Fedora 10 | serivces configuration window

Running Fedora 10 on a very generic box - nothing fancy. Clean install - everything seems to work relatively well (now that I have static IP working), but...for some reason, whenever I try to look at which services are active, or otherwise fool with system services, using the 'Services Configuration' window (System - Administration - Services), the window pops up, but then hangs - nothing gets shown. Everything remains completely greyed out.

I've tried rebooting several times - nada. Cannot get the 'Services Configuration window' to report anything.

Suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 1st December 2008, 04:06 PM
forum.query Offline

further oddities

A clue perhaps - when I try to run system-config-services, either from the GUI (as described), or from the command line, I don't get prompted for root password! On every other Fedora box I have, unless you're logged in as root, trying to config services prompts for the root password.

So, something is definitely amiss.
Old 1st December 2008, 04:11 PM
forum.query Offline

brute force fix attempt

Fired up yumex, uninstalled system-config-services, then did a re-install. Reboot...nada.

Even tried running system-config-services from terminal as su. Nada.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:36 PM
forum.query Offline

serious bug?

So, I did a complete re-install, and while I can now see the Configure Service window, it never prompted me for root password, which seems like a major security bug.

Since that is a somewhat separate issue, I'll start a thread on that in the appropriate part of the forum.
Old 1st December 2008, 07:32 PM
forum.query Offline

completely broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum.query View Post
So, I did a complete re-install, and while I can now see the Configure Service window, it never prompted me for root password, which seems like a major security bug.

Since that is a somewhat separate issue, I'll start a thread on that in the appropriate part of the forum.
OK, so the above is true - if I do a complete re-install, the configure services window is there. But, the moment I make a change, save/exit, then restart system-config-services, nothing comes up. System completely hangs.

I've now replicated this on 2 separate boxes. Can someone else confirm (or not) on their box?

Quite frankly, any more major issues like this, and I suspect I'll be evaluating other distros. Too bad, since Fedora 8 ran like a tank (at least for me).
Old 1st December 2008, 10:48 PM
neat Offline

I have the same problem on Samsung Laptop R40 with f10. If I go to services, the hole X system hangs. I can login with ssh and start service by remote, but X is dead.

I got strange log: ../gdm/:0.log.1

[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.

and so on....

graphiccard is ATI Radeon Xpress

another problem is, that sometimes X hangs and i can only move the mouse. But nothing works. no buttons, keys, only moving the mouse finger.
That happens on both of my mashines. And both ati. Both f10.

Anybody similar problems?

Last edited by neat; 1st December 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 2nd December 2008, 02:50 PM
forum.query Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by neat View Post
I have the same problem on Samsung Laptop R40 with f10. If I go to services, the hole X system hangs. I can login with ssh and start service by remote, but X is dead.

I got strange log: ../gdm/:0.log.1

and so on....

graphiccard is ATI Radeon Xpress

another problem is, that sometimes X hangs and i can only move the mouse. But nothing works. no buttons, keys, only moving the mouse finger.
That happens on both of my mashines. And both ati. Both f10.

Anybody similar problems?

Seems like a pernicious problem. I did a full re-install again, got the services window back, and looked at a few things. There is *some* chance that the problem is caused by some weird conflict between system-config-services and xinetd, but I ran out of steam yesterday trying various permutations.

When I was finally too tired to be 'careful', I said, 'what the heck, lets try CentOS 5.xx'. 30 minutes later I had a fully functioning system, and 100% of everything I poked at worked right out of the box. Now CentOS 5.xx is essentially RHEL 5, which took all the working bits from Fedora 1 -> 6/7/8 (varies depending on who you read), and so, I'm not surprised that everything work. Missing a few 'nifty new things'? Sure, but I don't really need most of those. So, I'm going to keep twiddling with Fedora 10 (because I'm intrigued), but will probably move my current Fedora 8 boxes to CentOS, because (at the risk of stealing a tag line from some other computer company), it 'just works' (at least for me).
Old 7th December 2008, 09:39 PM
denkbar Offline

Happens to me in this circumstance:
Installed FC 10 Nov 29
went to "su" and the System-->Administration-->Services menu brought Services up and I was able to make changes

Have applied two sets of updates since then via System-->Administration-->Update System. The second was today (Dec 7).

Now, I am unable to access Services. My guess is that one of the update sets is the culprit. Also tried system-config-services and got a ration of error messages.

As a sidebar: System-->Administration-->Samba worked after the initial install, but does not work now. However, system-config-samba brings up the GUI and I can make changes.
Old 8th December 2008, 02:45 AM
RottenMutt Offline

same as op

Code:
[root@ZMaxDP pam.d]# system-config-services
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.57:/org/fedoraproject/Config/Services/ServiceHerders/SysVServiceHerder: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member "Introspect" error name "(unset)" destination ":1.57")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/system-config-services", line 945, in <module>
    GUI (use_dbus = use_dbus).run ()
  File "/usr/bin/system-config-services", line 900, in __init__
    self.serviceherders.append (cls (bus = self._bus))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scservices/dbus/proxy/serviceherders.py", line 53, in __init__
    for service_name in self.list_services ():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/slip/dbus/polkit.py", line 48, in enable_proxy_wrapper
    return func (*p, **k)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scservices/dbus/proxy/serviceherders.py", line 66, in list_services
    return self.dbus_object.list_services (dbus_interface = "org.fedoraproject.Config.Services.ServiceHerder")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.fedoraproject.Config.Services.ServiceHerder" member "list_services" error name "(unset)" destination ":1.57")
Old 8th December 2008, 02:59 AM
Maryyy Offline

Well, I suspect that it's 'cos of some dbus updates. In my case, not only services, but other things got broken. Like Software sources window, which is just empty, not showing any repos. It happened right after yum update, which included some dbus packages too.

Services can in my case be run using "su -", not only "su". I'll look into it further tomorrow.

Last edited by Maryyy; 8th December 2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: add content
Old 8th December 2008, 04:16 AM
Maryyy Offline

I just couldn't sleep with this POS issue. (it's 5.11 AM here...)

Yes, it's dbus 1.2.6 that is the problem. After playing with the messed up system I also found that e.g. system-config-printer doesn't detect any printers at all, it just stalls. This update really messes up the system quite a bit.

Downgrading with yum is pain. If anyone knows how to properly use --allow-downgrade, I would be grateful. I have the plugin installed and enabled,but it doesn't allow me to downgrade.

Anyway, I got it fixed like this.
Insert Fedora DVD (if you don't have a local repo like me), go to Packages dir.

make yourself root.

Code:
# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage dbus-1.2.4-1.fc10.i386.rpm dbus-libs-1.2.4-1.fc10.i386.rpm dbus-devel-1.2.4-1.fc10.i386.rpm dbus-x11-1.2.4-1.fc10.i386.rpm
(you may not have e.g. -devel package and may also have additional ones installed. But the command will complin if deps are not satisfied )

That's it. Everything works again, system-config-services, software sources, system-config-printer and probably much more that got messed up with dbus-1.2.6.

Hope it helps. Gotta sleeeeeeeep noooow.......
Old 8th December 2008, 05:36 AM
james.murgolo Offline

Angry Ditto

I had many strange issues. I am running fedora 10 in virtualbox on win xp. I thought some of the issues were related to virtualization but when my screen resolution reset and the resolution I was at didn't show up in the possible list under display, I knew something was awry.

I didn't try your solution but reinstalled as I wasn't very far with my current project but these problems weren't there until I updated late Sunday. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

My issues also included no updates or add/remove software (seems like my repos dissappeared but there were other messages), network stopped working, no services.
Old 8th December 2008, 09:07 AM
Jiaoziren Offline

i have encountered the same problem today. i guess it's related to yesterday's updates. after yesterday's updates, many weird things happened.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:13 AM
alfatal Offline

There's a bug for this in bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=475160
Old 8th December 2008, 10:23 PM
loren456 Offline

Maryyy, thank you SO MUCH for your post, including the Ohhhhhhhhh so helpful workaround. You have saved me (at least for the moment) from throwing in the towel and returning to my beloved Fedora 9. Now the highly touted Printer configuration applet works as advertised, and the Services window appears instead of hanging. Thank you so much for staying up late to figure this out for the rest of us. I'm actually trying to get some real (what they pay me for) work done and don't have time (or the expertise) to ferret out things like this. Thank God there are smart people like you on the forum. --Loren

Tags
fedora 10, services, services configuration