Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th October 2008, 07:04 PM
daman9191 Offline

Thumbs down Need Help WIth a BCM4311 (Rev 01) Wifi Card

My info that I know:
Fedora 9
Dell Computer Inspiron e1405
Dell 1390 mini wlan card A.K.A Broadcom BCM4311 (rev 01)
When I tried b43-fwcutter it was version 011

I type 'lspci' and get this line in return for my wireless
Code:
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
I went to system -> administration -> Network -> then tried to activate it.... I got this:
Code:
Determining IP information for wlan0...Nothing to flush.
 failed.
Also tried using the network manager.... did not show any networks to connect to.

Went into terminal, tried this...
Code:
[robby@localhost ~]$ iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     No scan results
I've tried everything I can think of to get my Fedora running on WiFi. I've tried the b43-fwcutter then the bcm43xx and last I tried Ndiswrapper. I know it is possible because not long ago I tried the KDE version out (I have GNOME version) and I managed to get the LED ligt for the WiFi on (not that the WiFi even worked... but still its progress lol) but on my GNOME installed now I can not even get that up.

Thank you so much if you can help.

Last edited by daman9191; 11th October 2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11th October 2008, 09:00 PM
jgf9 Offline

Broadcom Drivers in Kernel?

I have been also trying to install my Broadcom WiFi with Fedora 9 installed in a DELL Vostro 1510 laptop, but all failed. I've read lots of hints in many foruns, using b43-fwcutter and bcm43xx-fwcutter to extract the drivers from several object modulos (e.g. http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43), but all failed. The system just ignores the existence of the hardware. By the way, b43 and bcm43xx extractors came with my Fedora DVD, installed by default.
My chipset reads Brodcom BCM94312MCG (on the chip). A search with lspci gives

00:06.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

What surprised me last is that I found the following drivers(?) in the kernel (?):

/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43
/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy
/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko

My question is, are these the drivers I need? If so, how can I use them? Network Manager doesn't list them.

Thanks for any help. That's all that is missing for me to adopt Fedora as my system.

JGF9: confused:
Old 29th November 2008, 12:46 AM
pwca Offline
Banned

Open an xterminal and do the following:

Code:
su -
yum install b43-fwcutter NetworkManager NetworkManager-glib NetworkManager-gnome
system-config-network
In the Network Configuration GUI that pops up click on the Devices tab and on the Hardware tab. If a line containing "wlan0" does not appear in either tab reboot your machine and once logged back in open an xterminal, become root and re-issue the command "system-config-network". Check the tabs again. You should see in the Devices tab a line containing "wlan0". If not don't worry we are now going to force the bugger with a sledge hammer.

Click on the "Devices" tab then select "New" from the menu. Follow the on-screen dialog to create a new device.

After it's been created click on "Edit" from the menu and do:
--In the "General" tab make sure the following are enabled:
Controlled by NetworkManager
Activate device when computer starts
Allow users to enable and disable the device
Enable IPv6 configuration for this interface
Automatically obtain IP address settings with: "dhcp"
Automatically obtain DNS information from provider
--In the "Hardware device" tab make sure:
Hardware is set to "wlan0 (b43)"
Device alias number is unchecked
Bind to MAC address is checked
--In the "Wireless Settings" tab make sure:
Mode is set to "auto"
Network name (SSID) is set to "auto"
Channel is set to "1"
Transmit rate is set to "Auto"

Now save your changes by choosing File-- Save from the GUI menu and then exit the GUI.

Open an xterminal and issue the following commands:

Code:
cd /home/[user name]/[download directory]  
wget -c http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
tar -xfvj broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
su
b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta_mimo.o
exit
exit
now reboot your computer for setting to take effect.

You may have a spot of bother during the boot process IF you also have a wired NIC in the computer. Don't worry, eventually you will boot fully. When you do go back into an xterminal, become root and use the system-config-network command again. In the Devices tab click on your wired NIC to highlight it and click on the Edit button in the menu. Under the General tab uncheck the box next to "Activate device when computer starts". Next time you boot up you shouldn't have any trouble waiting for it to find a connection before moving on to the next item to start in your boot process.

This solution worked on my laptop from Acer having the BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01) NIC with a fully updated F9 installation (32bit). However, If you are still having difficulties then I suggest visiting:

http://linuxwireless.org/
http://openwrt.org/
http://www.linuxhardware.org/

for possibly updated information concerning your wireless NIC. Further cruising of the Fedora Forum is also highly advised.

Tags
bcm4311, rev 01, wifi, wireless