Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th November 2008, 11:08 PM
tau-neutrino Offline

Help with Display: Thinkpad T61

I have a thinkpad t61 that I installed F9 on with the Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M video card.

The screen brightness is completely wacko. When I change the brightness using the keyboard, the brightness does decrease or increase but after a few seconds or even minutes the brightness jumps back to the default setting. This is really annoying. Anyone know how to fix this?

Two other issues I am having:

1.) When I suspend the system and then try to get it back up, the screen displays nothing.

2.) The system does not sleep when I close the lid.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This is my first foray into Linux and I'd like to permanently ditch Microsoft!
Old 18th November 2008, 10:15 PM
tau-neutrino Offline

No one has any suggestions? I really am clueless here and could use some help. I would be very thankful.....
Old 18th November 2008, 10:22 PM
BlueC Offline

See here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...k_after_resume

and other pages in the thinkwiki.org site will be useful too. For (1) are you sure it displays "nothing" or does the backlight just not come back on?
Old 18th November 2008, 11:10 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
See here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...k_after_resume

and other pages in the thinkwiki.org site will be useful too. For (1) are you sure it displays "nothing" or does the backlight just not come back on?
Good grief! The solutions look almost as bad as the disease. I've been an IBM laptop fanboy for some time but now... since Lenovo took over... I've not been too confident. This just confirms my reticence.

My acer laptop has the same wonky behaviour with the screen brightness. I think it may have something to do with the hibernate/sleep/screensaver software within Gnome.

As for your issue of the screen locking up when trying to resume from suspend mode.... are you sure the screen isn't locked? When this occurs try typing in your user password and see if it doesn't solve the problem. If this works you need to go into:
System --> Preferences --> System --> Power Management
and
System --> Preferences --> Look and Feel --> Screensaver

and change the appropriate settings (oh, btw, in the Power Management GUI at the "On AC Power" and "On Battery Power) tabs... note the tick box for "Dim display when idle" option. You may wish to uncheck it as it was checked by default during my install)

Last edited by pwca; 18th November 2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: solution possibly found
Old 18th November 2008, 11:28 PM
BlueC Offline

Do you have the nvidia driver installed from rpmfusion?

There is a fair bit of info about the T61 and Fedora on thinkwiki... like this seems relevant:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Instal...Suspend_to_RAM

and

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Instal...a_T61#Graphics (livna stuff is outdated - use rpmfusion instead)

And there is a glut of information here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T61
Old 18th November 2008, 11:31 PM
noobusinglinux Offline

this might not work but to solve #1 you can try to change the power controls for the display in the laptop's bios note be careful when adjusting your bios settings
Old 18th November 2008, 11:31 PM
BlueC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwca View Post
I've been an IBM laptop fanboy for some time but now... since Lenovo took over... I've not been too confident. This just confirms my reticence.
I don't think that is fair - the IBM systems suffered just the same quirks with Linux as do most laptops to be honest - very rarely does a laptop "just work" unless it is fairly old. Also, my bro just bought a ThinkPad and let me tell you: it rocks! I am very jealous.
Old 18th November 2008, 11:47 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
I don't think that is fair - the IBM systems suffered just the same quirks with Linux as do most laptops to be honest - very rarely does a laptop "just work" unless it is fairly old. Also, my bro just bought a ThinkPad and let me tell you: it rocks! I am very jealous.
I never experienced those quirks. Which was why I preferred to use the IBM laptop over any other. Now that's my experience. Doesn't mean someone else had a different experience.
Old 19th November 2008, 05:47 AM
tiendn Offline

I have got same trouble when I using ubuntu, I think linux not have good power management

Linux

Last edited by tiendn; 30th November 2008 at 10:57 AM.

Tags
display, t61, thinkpad