Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 21st October 2008, 10:36 PM
Quasar8000 Offline

A quick update: After some searching, I discovered that since the 2.6.27 kernel is supposed to take care of the wireless toggling, there's no need for the WLAN state switch in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc anymore. Instead, this functionality can now be accessed through /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state, which can be used to turn the WLAN on (echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state) or off (echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state). The good news is that there's also a control for the bluetooth at /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill1/state, the bad news is that it doesn't seem to be working yet. All the other problems I mentioned above are still unchanged. I hope the coming kernel releases fix those issues.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:58 AM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar8000 View Post
A quick update: After some searching, I discovered that since the 2.6.27 kernel is supposed to take care of the wireless toggling, there's no need for the WLAN state switch in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc anymore. Instead, this functionality can now be accessed through /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state, which can be used to turn the WLAN on (echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state) or off (echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state). The good news is that there's also a control for the bluetooth at /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill1/state, the bad news is that it doesn't seem to be working yet. All the other problems I mentioned above are still unchanged. I hope the coming kernel releases fix those issues.
Yep, I'm on 2.6.27.4-51.fc10.i686 here on Eee PC 701. The echo 0 turns wireless light off, but the antenna seems to be on and capturing surround wireless devices, altough I'm not able to connect to them anymore.

Then, if I issue echo 1 again, it doesn't get back again normally. I'm unable to connect to any network available.

Any other way of manually disabling and enabling wlan card?
Old 1st November 2008, 11:34 PM
Quasar8000 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duli View Post
Yep, I'm on 2.6.27.4-51.fc10.i686 here on Eee PC 701. The echo 0 turns wireless light off, but the antenna seems to be on and capturing surround wireless devices, altough I'm not able to connect to them anymore.

Then, if I issue echo 1 again, it doesn't get back again normally. I'm unable to connect to any network available.

Any other way of manually disabling and enabling wlan card?
That could be due to the fact that the Eee PC 701 uses a MadWifi driver. I think the procedure to turn off MadWifi drivers is not the same as the procedure to turn off Ralink's drivers. Unfortunately I don't have a 701 so I can't help much there, but I can suggest a couple of things based on the script used to enable/disable WLAN using Fn+F2 under Fedora 9. To stop the WLAN completely try the following commands:
Code:
rmmod ath_pci
rmmod ath_rate_sample
rmmod wlan_scan_sta
rmmod wlan_tkip
rmmod wlan_wep
rmmod wlan
Then issue the echo 0 command. To enable WLAN reception again, try issuing echo 1 then
Code:
modprobe ath_pci
Hopefully this would work, please let us know if it does.
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:51 PM
Duli Offline

Hello, Quasar8000:

This is what has worked for Eee PC + F10:

Code:
service NetworkManager stop
modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
ifconfig wlan0 down
rmmod ath5k
echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
rmmod pciehp
service NetworkManager start
Then, to turn the wireless back on:

Code:
service NetworkManager stop
modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
rmmod pciehp
service NetworkManager start
A bug has been reported by me: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=461329

Thanks!

Thanks.

Tags
901, beta, eee, fedora