Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st June 2008, 06:56 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat84
In my case its the school that's not upgrading. The instructor would have no problem upgrading. But for the purposes of the class, FC5 is sufficient I suppose.
as its been said before FC5 is out of date, all your school has to do is upgrade to Fedora 8 then you can install ff3, sounds like your school IT guy is just to lazy to upgrade, it doesnt take long to upgrade
Old 21st June 2008, 07:02 AM
lazlow Offline

You ever thought about just doing a F9 install on a usb stick?
Old 21st June 2008, 07:07 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
heat84
I would give lazlow's suggestion some serious consideration as you don't have many options given your situation.

The Requirements for FF3
Code:
Linux
Software Requirements
Please note that Linux distributors may provide packages for your distribution which have different requirements.

* Firefox will not run at all without the following libraries or packages:
          o GTK+ 2.10 or higher
          o GLib 2.12 or higher
          o Pango 1.14 or higher
          o X.Org 1.0 or higher
    * For optimal functionality, we recommend the following libraries or packages:
          o NetworkManager 0.7 or higher
          o DBus 1.0 or higher
          o HAL 0.5.8 or higher
          o GNOME 2.16 or higher
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...uirements.html

I'm pretty sure that FC5 falls short on most of these.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 21st June 2008, 09:08 AM
JohnVV Offline

well the only way to get the current software to run will be to build it and ALL OF IT'S DEPENDENCIES from the source code . Maybe some prebuilt ones will work OOffice 2 should be no problem .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 2nd October 2008, 06:43 PM
remi Offline

Just for you information. Firefox 3 is now available on my little repo for Fedora Core 4 to 8.

http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2.../firefox-303-1
http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2...-Fedora-Core-5

++
Old 2nd October 2008, 07:09 PM
heat84 Offline

I was just thinking about this thread.

I meant to reply with this earlier but the reason we were using FC5 in my class was because my instructor prefers us to us the conf files instead of the GUI and (according to him) HTTP is automated in FC6 and up. But there's an HTTPD.conf file in FC6 and later isn't there?
I've since finished that class so I don't think I'll have to worry about this issue anymore.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:54 AM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat84 View Post
I was just thinking about this thread.

I meant to reply with this earlier but the reason we were using FC5 in my class was because my instructor prefers us to us the conf files instead of the GUI and (according to him) HTTP is automated in FC6 and up. But there's an HTTPD.conf file in FC6 and later isn't there?
I've since finished that class so I don't think I'll have to worry about this issue anymore.
Config files didn't disappear after FC5. That's the thing about Linux - a GUI config tool might exist for a service or piece of software, but 99% of software in Linux can be configured through editing plaintext files. Configs are all out there in plain text for you to see.

The instructor could force you to modify config files in Fedora 9 or, heck, even in F10 beta. Doesn't matter. Apache's used httpd.conf for as long as anybody can remember. Always has, still does.

If he doesn't want you setting up Apache with the GUI, he could prevent you from installing the GUI config tool, I'd imagine - or at least ask you not to use it (hooray honor system). Apache is being run on headless servers all over the world - it's configured through editing plaintext files, and many dedicated web servers don't even have GUIs (and hence no GUI config tools).

Bottom line is that that seems to be a very weird justification on the part of your instructor to use end of life software.

I really don't know what's up with all these instructors forcing students to use years-old versions of software distributions, but a surprising number of students come on here asking for support for years-old versions of Fedora that they're forced to use in class. Is it laziness on the part of the instructors? Ignorance of the Fedora release cycle? (and I mean ignorance in the original sense of "not knowing" rather than "God, you're an idiot!")

Last edited by forkbomb; 3rd October 2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:13 AM
heat84 Offline

I noticed when I was installing packages or getting package updates, Yum would have to check 2 or 3 servers before it found one that still had FC5 supported packages on it. I'm sure before too much longer there won't be any repo servers supporting old distros, somethings gonna have to give with the instructors.
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:19 AM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat84 View Post
I noticed when I was installing packages or getting package updates, Yum would have to check 2 or 3 servers before it found one that still had FC5 supported packages on it. I'm sure before too much longer there won't be any repo servers supporting old distros, somethings gonna have to give with the instructors.
I'm surprised it found any mirrors at all...
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:44 AM
JohnVV Offline

here or over at LQ
not to long ago , i think a week or two , a student needed help with Fedora 2 ( yes "two", not a typo) because that was what the class required .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Tags
fc5, firefox, install