Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd May 2004, 01:54 PM
ZeroVerteX Offline

Question Synaptics Touchpad on Dell Laptop Tap to click not working in FC2

In FC1 I could tap the touchpad to click. I've loaded a fresh install of FC2 on it and I have to use the buttons to click. I can't tap to click anymore. It's just a minor annoyance, but if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 23rd May 2004, 02:16 PM
Steve++ Offline

Ah! Just the problem I finally fixed yesterday. And I'm a complete noob. Open /boot/grub/grub.conf in your favourite text editor, find a line that starts with kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358, and add psmouse.proto=imps to the end.

This is one workaround. The other involves fixing the kernel. Something to do with evdev - i don't know what that is... Some guy said using the above method made his mouse pointer movement choppy and the kernel patching method made it work smoothly and flawlessly. But to be honest, I can't say I've noticed any real choppiness.

Let me know how you go.
Old 23rd May 2004, 02:36 PM
ZeroVerteX Offline

Steve++ is the man! That worked great! Thank you so much!
Old 23rd May 2004, 03:08 PM
micha Offline

That's weird, I got a Dell Inspiron 8600 and FC2, and the tap-to-click feature works out of the box.
Old 23rd May 2004, 04:34 PM
Steve++ Offline

Yeah, weird indeed. Perhaps taps are converted to clicks in hardware by defaut. Who knows... All I know is that this is a kernel 2.6 thing. When I installed RH9 the other day, tap-click worked fine. Like FC1, that also has kernel 2.4.
Old 26th May 2004, 07:43 PM
sancho Offline

This parameter did indeed work for me as well and did duplicate the behavior of FC1 on my laptop.

I can, however, attest to increased choppiness with this parameter. To me, it is quite noticable, but luckily not bad enough to render it unusable (I guess I got used to it with FC1 as it was choppy by default).
Old 28th May 2004, 01:48 AM
quinquen Offline

same on compaq presario notebook

thanks for your post, I hope to solve the same problem, but on a compaq presario laptop.

see ya
Old 30th May 2004, 06:29 PM
luibh Offline

same on hp pavilion

work with hp pavilion ze4420
registered linux user #362605
registered linux machine #286504
brainbench certified linux administration (general)
jordanmarshall.org
Old 8th July 2004, 03:55 PM
oddworld14 Offline

Is there any way to turn it off? My laptop is a dell 8600 and it worked out of the box... but one thing, I dont want it lol. I hate it, i dont use the touchpad and when i type it clicks somewhere from me resting my wrists. Thanks
Old 28th September 2004, 10:08 PM
debi Offline

Thumbs up

Thanx for the tip!! I received a new dell inspiron 1150, installed fedora (k12ltsp) and the once working touchpad didn't work... until a google search led me here. Thanx again.

:o)

Tags
click, dell, fc2, laptop, synaptics, tap, touchpad, working