Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:44 AM
Ultron Offline

Nvidia 8600 on Fedora 9

I downloaded the Linux 64 drivers from Nvidia's website, however I am unable to run the program without a) being root and b) outside of Xwindows. I need to be able to log out of init 5 (or whatever the run level that the GUI is) and log into init 3 so that I can install these drivers. I am, however, unable to figure out how to do that. I've tried typing shutdown as root, or init 3 and I'm quite a bit of a newb when it comes to Linux. This is a fresh install of Fedora 9 x64 and it's completely updated.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am trying to do things like:

a) install video drivers
b) get codecs installed for watching videos
c) get plugins installed for youtube, etc.

The journey continues.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:48 AM
Ultron Offline

Has anyone made a thread that basically outlines the basic process for a typical individual who wants to get started, and get all the most important types of software installed. If so, I'd like to look at that as well.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:49 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

See link in sig.

V
Various Packages by forum members
Direct Rendering for Mach64 and other older chipsets
Nvidia Videocard Setup In Fedora Linux

1. Compaq Presario SR2020NX, F8 x86 (F11 VM)/WinXP MCE Smolt Profile
2. micron.pc ClientPro CN, F9 x86/F10 x86 KDE-Live+E17 Smolt Profile F9 Smolt Profile F10
3. emachines etower 466id, F11 i586 LXDE/Win98SE Smolt Profile

Registered Linux User #436519
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:52 AM
Loki1950 Offline

A bit further down the page but this should get you going http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...05&postcount=3 Dangermouse's script rocks

Enjoy thee Choice

Last edited by Loki1950; 22nd July 2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: not complte
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:56 AM
jtang613 Offline

And a bit of general advice - Fedora is a widely used distro and FedoraForum is a very popular support forum. Any issue you have to face has likely already been solved and described here in the forum, or elsewhere on the web. Always search thoroughly before posting to save yourself the trouble of posting and waiting.
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:20 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtang613
Always search thoroughly before posting to save yourself the trouble of posting and waiting.
That would be the day someone actually searched answers to their problems

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:51 PM
Ultron Offline

I did some searching but couldn't find the answer - the downside to having a forum filled with so much information it's hard to sort through even the search results to find something that's correct for the particular need. Thanks for the general advice and the sig links.
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:21 PM
jtang613 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
I did some searching but couldn't find the answer - the downside to having a forum filled with so much information it's hard to sort through even the search results to find something that's correct for the particular need. Thanks for the general advice and the sig links.
Sometimes it helps to narrow your search. The Guides & HowTo's section has a sticky post describing in detail how to install the nvidia drivers. Very easy to find, it was on the first page of results for a generic 'install nvidia drivers' search:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=188241

While we're searching for you - this page popped up on the first set of results for a generic 'install codecs' search:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=100206

And the icing on the cake... the above howto also covers the installation of the Adobe Flash Player plugin so you can watch YouTube videos.

Total time invested: 6 minutes.

Of course, I've been using Fedora for a while, so I might be more in tune with what to look for, but even if it takes you two, or even ten times as long, that's still about an hour - max.

Just my two cents.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:41 AM
Ultron Offline

Yeah someone that has more knowledge, to know which advice to follow would have better luck than I at sifting through the information - I'm still essentially a Linux newb. I saw quite a few links from the searching I did, and wasn't sure the best option.

Just as it's common for people like you to recommend someone search before posting, it's also common that people like myself actually do search, and when confused or unsure, they ask anyway. That's basically what I did, and I ended up getting the help that I needed because of it.

One thing: I did what was suggested in Hlingler's sig, but it seems I already had a nvidia driver installed, as many of the lines were already filled out as suggested, and when I enabled the nvidia drivers, nothing changed.

My big problem is that when I play videos with VLC they look a little pixelated. That is not the case when using VLC in Windows XP. So I don't know what to look for in this case, as apparently the Nvidia drivers are installed and VLC is working properly.

Any ideas?
Old 26th July 2008, 04:33 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Going back to your question from Post #2, see here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=183569, which is in this forum: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=61.

I do not understand your last post: "...when I enabled the nvidia drivers, nothing changed." Nothing changed from... when/what? I thought that the problem was: you needed the video driver. Now you have it. So, the problem now is... what? That videos on VLC look pixelated?

Follow one of the tutorials referenced in bob's post that I've linked to - I personally recommend mjmuranda's guide (mjmwired). Make sure that you get all the A/V codecs and stuff, and then try adjusting some of the VLC settings to get better video quality out of it.

Good luck,
V
Old 26th July 2008, 06:12 AM
leadgolem Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
My big problem is that when I play videos with VLC they look a little pixelated. That is not the case when using VLC in Windows XP. So I don't know what to look for in this case, as apparently the Nvidia drivers are installed and VLC is working properly.

Any ideas?
In vlc, go to Video/Post Processing, and change it to 6.

EDIT: Also try Settings/Preferences/Video/Output modules, check off advanced, put your cursor in the Video output module and arrow down until it reads "OpenGL video output"

You might want to do this to see if your nvidia driver is running properly.
Code:
glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
If it comes back with a "Yes" for direct rendering your good.

Last edited by leadgolem; 26th July 2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 26th July 2008, 06:26 AM
AltairJr Offline

I used vlc for a short bit myself and didn't really like what I got - I personally recommend MPlayer with the SMPlayer gui. It might have just been some bad settings and me being too impatient to fix them but VLC was like a sloth where Mplayer has been nice and crisp for me

Tags
8600, fedora, nvidia