Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Fedora Focus
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Fedora Focus Come in and have a general chat about Fedora and things relating to Fedora.

View Poll Results: Round 3 favorite Fedora background theme?
Gears 7 14.00%
InvinXble 19 38.00%
Neon 3 6.00%
Solar 21 42.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22nd July 2008, 01:20 PM
nicubunu Offline

Fedora 10 themes - feedback wanted

As the first round for creating a theme for F10 just ended, I wrote an extensive blog post (with links to each proposal): http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2008/07...s-round-1.html

The best way to give feedback is on the fedora-art mailing list but I will read the replies here and will try to make a short report on list.'

Update
Only four themes are qualified for round 3 and available for Fedora 10 Beta:
For a quick preview, you can see the attachment that include two Gears, InvinXble, Neon and Solar respectively.

For impatient users, two ways to get these backgrounds:
Code:
yum --enablerepo=rawhide install gears-backgrounds invinxble-backgrounds neon-backgrounds solar-backgrounds
Or use either Pirut (Fedora 8) or PackageKit aka Add/Remove Software (Fedora 9) or other favorite package managers while enabling rawhide repository.

The poll is created to see favorite backgrounds. Feedback which will be directed to fedora-art-list mail list is also important so Fedora Artwork Team can improve theme and one of them will be default for the final release.

Update 2
Official vote from Fedora Art team is now open until September 24th, 1:00 AM UTC. Please follow instruction for vote eligibility. As a result, this current poll is now closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gears-large.png
Views:	315
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	17317   Click image for larger version

Name:	gears-many.png
Views:	256
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	17318   Click image for larger version

Name:	invinxble.png
Views:	328
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	17319   Click image for larger version

Name:	neon.png
Views:	327
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	17320   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.png
Views:	357
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	17321  

Last edited by Finalzone; 22nd September 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Official poll from Fedora Art team now open
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:34 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ighlight=gears

Also, who are you? Do you represent the Fedora art team? If so then the blog you directed us to is very unprofessional. It contains offensive language for one, and you certainly come down hard on yourself with references to your "sucky life." If this is a private blog then great, but maybe a note that this is not a Fedora association would be in order?

In any case, the artwork will be put to a vote and I am sure the art team will do a fine job with it as they always do, no matter which theme is selected. Asking for an opinion in here is sort of a loaded question as you will see by the comments on the link I provided. Everyone has their own ideas, I have used the same "sitting Tux" wallpaper since FC5 myself.
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:52 PM
Nokia Offline

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/Contributors

He's listed here.

OTOH, I agree partially with the "offensive" part. But I have no reason to consider it other than a personal blog of a Fedora contributor. So I don't think there anything wrong, yet I strongly disapprove such a presentation of one's own work. It's a pity, but sometimes this happens.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:07 PM
nicubunu Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Also, who are you? Do you represent the Fedora art team? If so then the blog you directed us to is very unprofessional.
Take it or leave it. We do not have other vehicle than our personal blogs to announce such things. If you do not want to comment on my blog that is fine, the mailing list is the proper channel to communicate anyway.

Quote:
In any case, the artwork will be put to a vote and I am sure the art team will do a fine job with it as they always do, no matter which theme is selected. Asking for an opinion in here is sort of a loaded question as you will see by the comments on the link I provided. Everyone has their own ideas, I have used the same "sitting Tux" wallpaper since FC5 myself.
I believe that thread was following the OSNews article about our theme proposals, article which was 1) incomplete and 2) published before the end of the first round, before the concepts were ready (the deadline was July 21).

And of course we ask for feed back, for example in F9 the graphics where changed at the last moment based on the feedback received from various sources, including this forum.

Update: when asking someone how he is, you can just look in the FAS, I am useing the same nick - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/acco.../view/nicubunu

Last edited by nicubunu; 22nd July 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:14 PM
drunkahol Offline

Thanks Nicu,

At the very least, people will feel more included in the decision process. The concepts are high standards. My *personal* preference is for a theme that contains as little detailed art as practical. Just some sweeping colours, curves, lines etc.

JN4OldSchool: A bit of research would show that Nicu is a contributor to Fedora Art. It's a personal page. Sometimes people have personal ways of presenting things. My grandmother found tatoos and body piercings offensive - even on the telly. Personal preference really. Remember this is a still community and not a corporation. We may want to behave a little more like a corporation at times, but we're not there yet eh?

Cheers,

Duncan
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:15 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicubunu
Take it or leave it. We do not have other vehicle than our personal blogs to announce such things. If you do not want to comment on my blog that is fine, the mailing list is the proper channel to communicate anyway.

I believe that thread was following the OSNews article about our theme proposals, article which was 1) incomplete and 2) published before the end of the first round, before the concepts were ready (the deadline was July 21).

And of course we ask for feed back, for example in F9 the graphics where changed at the last moment based on the feedback received from various sources, including this forum.

I understand. Once again, I am asking WHO do you represent? Do you represent the ENTIRE Fedora art team, or is this your private survey? I have nothing against commenting on your personal blog if I had anything to say. I just want to be clear on who, exactly, is going to benefit from any feedback.

I am sorry to misdirect your thread so early on. I am sure you will get all the feedback you want in a few hours to a day with this thread. Personally, as I mention in the other thread I linked, I like the gears idea. I think a simpler line drawing style would be more appropriate, something that looked like lead pencil on parchment or grey drafting paper, and that blended into the background, wasnt so gaudy. But, this is just what I would do and I doubt my ideas would win a popularity contest.
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:21 PM
nicubunu Offline

Quote:
I understand. Once again, I am asking WHO do you represent? Do you represent the ENTIRE Fedora art team, or is this your private survey? I have nothing against commenting on your personal blog if I had anything to say. I just want to be clear on who, exactly, is going to benefit from any feedback.
I am using the same nick in the Fedora Account System, so all my credentials are here: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/acco.../view/nicubunu

Quote:
I am sorry to misdirect your thread so early on. I am sure you will get all the feedback you want in a few hours to a day with this thread. Personally, as I mention in the other thread I linked, I like the gears idea. I think a simpler line drawing style would be more appropriate, something that looked like lead pencil on parchment or grey drafting paper, and that blended into the background, wasnt so gaudy. But, this is just what I would do and I doubt my ideas would win a popularity contest.
Among other things, I am the one who created the Gears graphics...
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:29 PM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

To avoid future confusions, next time it would be better if you introduce yourself as an art colaborator for the Fedora Project first and then ask for feedback. JN was totally right in doubthing about your relationship with the project.

Also try warning others of the language used in your blog...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:32 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

This is the one I like. The parchment background just isnt quite right though. Maybe overlaid on a lightened picture of a steam locomotive? I dont know, but I like the track this is following.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Artwork_F10Themes_Gears_clockwork_paper.png
Views:	216
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	16766  
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:42 PM
nicubunu Offline

I am quite a bit against using photos in the artwork and going all vector. If I decide to follow the theme in Round 2 maybe I'll experiment with tracing a steam engine.

But the part I am unhappy about the most is that the image does not contain any bit of blue and the blue is used as a kind of Fedora trademark (as brown is for Ubuntu or green for SUSE).
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:46 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Nicu ...

First, thank you for announcing the end of phase one.

You've probably received all the feedback you ever needed nor wanted about your blog, so I'll leave that one alone. <....> Alfred has neatly handled the rest.

By way of admission, I closed this thread for a few minutes to allow it to cool off a little. I've also opened it back up again. If required, I'll do that again.

I would add, howerver, that there is a tone -- another form of feedback, if you will -- developing here that I believe would be a very good thing to take into consideration.

Whereas I have been a strong supporter of the art group in the past, (you are more than welcome to browse these threads for confirmation of that) I think it would be a good and educational thing to not only read and enjoy the positive feedback and the atta-boys, but perhaps to note those which are less than comfortable as well.

I'll add more later, but for now, let me get this posted.

Dan
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:49 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
I am quite a bit against using photos in the artwork and going all vector. If I decide to follow the theme in Round 2 maybe I'll experiment with tracing a steam engine.

But the part I am unhappy about the most is that the image does not contain any bit of blue and the blue is used as a kind of Fedora trademark (as brown is for Ubuntu or green for SUSE).
Yeah, I see you struggling with that in the other concepts, like with the blue background and the blue gear axles and bars in the finished designs. Unfortunately, I dont think this will be the right concept for the official F10 artwork, but it is the one that I personally like. I am just not into all the abstract stuff like neon and flame and such. I like the analogue, steam punk idea.
Old 22nd July 2008, 03:43 PM
drunkahol Offline

Quote:
Nicu,

Could the image not be "drawn" in blue ink? As in someone has drawn the gear on parchment using a blue fountain pen?

Cheers

Duncan
Old 22nd July 2008, 04:02 PM
nicubunu Offline

I think I tried blue ink, but probably is was not that visible (someone told me the "ink" is too sharp and do not like enough as ink). But I guess I can try a thicker line and maibe make it less focused (blurry).
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:01 PM
Firewing1 Offline

My opinion on some of the themes:
  • Gears: Great theme, but I think it would be better to stick to the "blueprint" type drawings. I find the colored/yellow one doesn't use the Fedora colors enough and it's too bright and flashy.
  • Binary: I really like this theme. It's a great concept ("1, 0, Fedora 10") and if the image isn't too busy, it will make a great background too.
  • Simmetrical Freedom: Same as binary, I think this will work out really well as long as it's not to busy and confusing to look at.
  • Spectrum: There's only one image so it's hard to comment on, but I like the one that's there.
Firewing1