Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 19th June 2008, 04:49 PM
bnorman Offline

"ls" and "cd" treat ".." differently inside symlinked directories

First, let me say that I'm really enjoying using Fedora 9. Thanks for a great distribution!

Now the problem: I've been using Linux daily for well over a decade, and this is new to me.

My development tree fails miserably now due to what seems like very strange behavior with symlinks. I notice this on both i386 and x86_64 Fedora 9 (just updated this morning, June 19).

When you've reached a directory using a symlink and then use ".." from within that tree, the interpretation of ".." is different depending on the command. See the following example:

Code:
[bnorman@localhost level1]$ ls -lR
.:
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 3 bnorman bnorman 4096 2008-06-19 08:37 level2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bnorman bnorman   13 2008-06-19 08:38 link3 -> level2/level3

./level2:
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 bnorman bnorman 4096 2008-06-19 08:37 level3

./level2/level3:
total 0
[bnorman@localhost level1]$ cd link3
[bnorman@localhost link3]$ ls ..
level3
[bnorman@localhost link3]$ cd .. ; ls ; cd -
level2  link3
/tmp/level1/link3
[bnorman@localhost link3]$ ls '..'
level3
[bnorman@localhost link3]$ cd '..' ; ls ; cd -
level2  link3
/tmp/level1/link3
[bnorman@localhost link3]$
So as an argument to ls, ".." follows the true directory structure. As an argument to "cd", it follows the symbolic path that was used to get to the current directory. gcc unfortunately also follows the true directory structure when parsing include and library paths, as well.

I know this is not a gcc or ls problem per se; what library do they use to parse paths? The problem is the same under bash or tcsh. It is also the same on ext3 or ntfs partitions. Any suggestions?

EDIT: "cd" is a shell builtin, and "ls" is a binary.

Thanks!
Ben

Last edited by bnorman; 19th June 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Tags
differently, directories, inside, symlinked, treat