Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th September 2004, 02:42 AM
Shadow Skill Offline

Crackheaded programmers

If its one thing I have noticed on Windows and Linux is that there are some really stupid coders out there as well as even more idiotic bussinesmen who run them..Case in point Internet explorer and active X what the hell is the point of even having it if so many of the 484548538535838485438546856^2 exploits are possible because of it? Why not just do away with it for the sake of a more secure OS, since it is clear they are too lazy to redesign the OS for stability. (Using what already freaking works...yep you guessed it a *nix core..) What makes them hold on to such a horrible piece of technology that leads to so many more easily compromized systems? (This is probably why the M$ security chief uses Firefox mind you.)

Another [AFAIK] Windows specific bad programming example is the ability to turn off all processes (including one's needed to boot the OS..) using msconfig. Why should anyone be allowed to disable a process needed for booting the OS? It's not like you would be able to do much of anything if that program or programs ever broke anyway so the only way to repair it would be to use the xp repair feature or at the worst a reformat. Can anyone here understand that? I do not.

Now for some Linux issues I have noticed (these are not nessecarily exscuse to Fedora.)

(This particular issue is more lke a bug than stupidity on the part of the various coders.)
Certain gui configuration frontends do not edit the config file or files they are SUPPOSED to modify...now I am not the most experienced coder but I have actually done some simple programs involving text files and I know that the programs designed to write to them can behave quite strangely, but why is it that the only reliable way for me to handle certain configurations is through using a text editor to edit the given text file directly (this is still indirect since you are not actually opening the code for the text file, so there is not a real reason why so many of these are broken across distros.)

What is the point of installing laptop related processes onto a desktop by default? Both Suse and Fedora do this...I fail to see why its like this either, hopefully fc3 will put an end to it...

Why would someone make a program that is virtually crippled unless it is used from the command line, yet include a gui frontend... do any of you feel like typing
Code:
mplayer -alang jap -slang eng /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/file
I didn't think so...I cannot understand why the stream flags are totally unusable from the GUI...it's such a basic thing to include that I can scarcely believe it is missing...

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.

Last edited by Shadow Skill; 15th September 2004 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Had to make some additions