I'm running fc8-x86_64bit on intel core2duo desktop.
A couple of days ago yum (and pup and pirut) stopped working.
The symptoms I've manages to find:
1. network access based on names (e.g ping www.yahoo.com
) does not work for the root user (ping ip-address works)
2. nslookup www.yahoo.com
works for root
3. non-root users have full access the network (normal browsing in firefox, as well as ping)
4. ntpd uses up a alot of cpu (one full core)
5. when ntpsd is killed nmbd uses up cpu
6. even when removing the above mentioned services, and most other services (including firewall) root still cannot access the network
7. I could not see any error messages in the commands or in /var/system/log - commands (yum or ping) just wait endlessly
8. I don't remember doing anything to the system other updating using pup, and deleting most files from /tmp/