Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th February 2006, 02:58 PM
Issac-S Offline

Oi... get new kernel, have more issue

So, I finally get the update that I required. Had to remove gnomemeeting but that is ok, it's rarely used with me.
So everything is installed, things seem to be find and I deside to reboot into the new kernel... 2.6.15-1.1830... Oi, first off, It seems that I have lost my two DVD drives in the update. It seemed rather minor at first, but it's be causing me nothing but grief.

So I as the system starts up, I see that the HAL daemon has failed to startup, I pass it off as nothing till I login. After booting up gnome it seems that the entries for hdc and hdd are gone in both the fstab and the mtab. So I end up rewriting it by hand, not the best solution but the most reliable. Thing seem to go fine, the drives seem to return to life after making the edits to fstab and mtab, through after it reads a CD or DVD... they can't be umounted, either by gnome nor manually. So I restart the computer, ONLY to have all of the above that repeat itself... HAL failing on startup, etc. So I boot one kernel down, 2.6.14-1.1656, same diff... HAL failing on startup, hdc & hdd gone in fstab & mtab, etc.

Anyone have a clue on what the HELL is going on? And anyway that this can be fix sans re-installing FC4?
Pardon my frustration, it was a long night.

Tags
kernel